COVID-19 cases spike in classroom

Elliot Smith

Three students, (from left to right) seniors Eric Overaa, Max Vavrek, and Hugo Leinbach, two unmasked and one masked, collaborate on a science assignment in Barton Clark’s class.

On Tuesday, April 26, AWHS principal LaSandra White sent an email via parent square with the purpose of informing students and their families about the current COVID-19 circumstances. The email states that AWHS is currently experiencing a recent spike in Omicron BA.2 variant cases. 

In the email, White go advised all students experiencing flu-like symptoms such as coughing, sore throat, and over 100.4-degree fever to stay home and take a COVID-19 test in order to contain the spread of the virus. If they test positive, students should quarantine and report their results to Mark Machado, the AWHS attendance clerk.  

“…all students/staff who report a positive test to school are provided with specific isolation and testing requirements and are able to test out of isolation on campus no earlier than day six of their isolation period,” White said in the email.

As of now, face coverings are not required by the district, but are strongly recommended. In order to protect students and staff against COVID-19, health experts still recommend that students wear KN95 and N95 masks. 

As COVID-19 cases begin to rise, AWHS administration is taking continuous measures to keep the community safe.