The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

Students gear up for finals using Quiet Week resources

Wellness+Center+specialist+Beatrix+Berry+teaches+students+how+to+make+essential+oil.+
Tal Dahan
Wellness Center specialist Beatrix Berry teaches students how to make essential oil.

As finals week rolls around for the second time this year, students face numerous obstacles before summer break. Tumultuous amounts of homework preparing for finals tend to not give a large grace period for studying. Students often end up feeling sleep-deprived and overworked after long weeks of intense work, but utilizing resources around campus helps alleviate the workload. 

To attend to the student grievances, Archie Williams holds the bi-annual tradition of Quiet Week. This semester’s Quiet Week, a weeklong period June 3-7, provides students with resources including peer tutoring, and Wellness activities to alleviate stress.

Students consider Quiet Week vital to their success. According to junior Jasper Cohen, Quiet Week helps relieve his workload. 

“I have a few finals to study for this week, as well as a bunch of homework assigned from my teacher. Quiet Week is a really important time for me to use,” Jasper said. 

The Wellness Center offers weeklong support for stressed students. Beginning June 4,   Wellness held a different lunch activity every day for Quiet Week. The activities included cookies and coloring, arts and and crafts, field games, and the affirmation station, where students used written affirmations to reassure themselves that they are ready to take on their finals.

Wellness center instructor Beatrix Berry helped coordinate the activities with Peer Resource, and hopes students utilized all the center’s offerings to their full potential.  

“We try to make activities fun, but also have some kind of component to teach students how to regulate their stress, manage their stress, and make sure that they have a calming week,” Berry said.

Peer Tutoring continues to be offered on Tuesdays in Room 408, and Thursdays in Room 126. The program aids students by studying with peers’ assistance, making sure they are confident in their ability to perform in their finals.

Sophomore Duco Nieulant appreciates the resources offered during Quiet Week. 

“Peer tutoring sessions are really useful. They help me prepare for finals, and make me feel assured that I will succeed in my tests,” Duco said. 

During Quiet Week, students can also study in the library during lunchtime or free periods. The library offers a quiet, comforting environment for students to focus with access to computers, especially important in the weeks before final exams. 

In order to increase their chances of success during Finals Week, Students can utilize the range of resources from the Wellness Center, Peer Resource, and more.