Falcons softball soars above Terra Linda

Freshman Sam Singer celebrates a home run with her teammate, senior Sarah Conway.
Zoe Levy

On Monday, April 1, the Archie Williams softball team stepped up to the plate against the Terra Linda Trojans on their own turf. The Falcons came into this game on a four-game win streak, and were successful in continuing it by beating the Trojans 11-1.

Junior captain Paige Murphy winds up to release her pitch. (Zoe Levy)

The Falcons started off slow defensively and were quickly down by one run after the Trojans managed to get three base hits in the bottom of the first. Archie Williams ended the inning by throwing a runner out at first, before Terra Linda could gain a substantial lead. The second inning saw little action from either team offensively, but junior pitcher Paige Murphy put the pressure on the batters with two strikeouts.

In the third inning, the Falcons attempts to score were cut short after a Trojan fielder swiftly caught a pop-fly to make a double play. Archie Williams bounced back with Paige throwing out two runners at first base and senior right fielder Emma Freed making a catch. 

“I think [the Falcons] came out a little flat today, but then they rallied around each other and came out with a big win,” said coach Neil Murphy.

Senior Sarah Conway drives her bat to the ball while freshman Sam Singer steals third base. (Carina Ridella)

The Falcons began to pick up speed in the fourth inning after Paige hit a double to bring in two runners to take the lead. Junior catcher Kennedy Dunsing and senior left fielder Amelia Richer also hit doubles to bring two more runs to end the inning up 4-1. Neither team scored in the fifth inning as the Falcons continued to up their defensive playing. 

Archie Williams scored two more runs in the top of the 6th inning after a far hit into the outfield by Emma. The Falcons quickly ended the 6th up 6-1 after two clean strike outs from Paige. The 7th was the Falcons’ strongest after doubles from Kennedy and Amelia secured five more runs, ending the game automatically at 11-1.

“I think we did really well at turning the vibes around and really locking in, getting the bats moving and playing defense cleanly,” said Kennedy.

The Falcons face off against the undefeated Redwood Giants in their next game on Wednesday, April 3 at Redwood High School. They hope to continue their win streak and remain as a strong team throughout the rest of their season.

“We just have to play seven innings and luckily the six that we played today was good enough,” Murphy said.