Freshman boys basketball fights close battle against San Marin

Brody Rhodes

AWHS freshman Shyama Dean shoots a three-pointer, and scores.

The AWHS Freshman boys basketball team continued their season against San Marin High School on Tuesday, Dec. 7 at the AWHS home court. The team fought hard, but the game  resulted in a close loss with a score of 45-54. Regardless of the outcome, the boys feel optimistic that they can improve in future games. 

The game started off slow, with AWHS starting off in the lead but quickly falling behind, ending the first quarter with a score of 7-12, San Marin. The Falcons’ main attribute was getting open for fast breaks, but they struggled to score, costing them an early lead in the first few minutes. AWHS freshman Henry Hanavan picked up the pace by scoring a considerable amount of three-pointers towards the end of the first half. 

“I feel like we had a couple of fast breaks but then we couldn’t finish, and I think we played strong but everybody was kind of in their heads,” said AWHS freshman player Jasper Cohen.“We need to work on finishing, and after we get fast breaks, we need to get the bucket.”

AWHS Freshman boys head coach, Court Haslett, believes that the team has some strong shooters, but he feels that overall the team needs to work on their defense for upcoming games. 

“We have a lot of good players, and we are a really good shooting team, but we need to get better on defense,” Haslett said.

Starting freshman, Vincent Krilanovich, takes a free throw after being fouled. (Brody Rhodes)

The boys team continued their close match through the second quarter with San Marin at a 7-point lead, ending the first half with a score of 17-24. 

AWHS freshman Vincent Krilanovich believes the team could have played better in the first half of the game, but feels they picked up the pace towards the end to catch up to the Mustangs. 

“They definitely had some big guys and strong shooters, I think we could have beat them, but we played pretty bad in the first half. We brought it back in the second half and turned it up but we definitely could have played better,” Vincent said. 

The AWHS freshman boys basketball team strives to improve their defense and keep up their quality shooting. They believe their teamwork will help them achieve more wins at the Santa Rosa Frosh Tourney from Dec. 8 to 11, as well as other games in the future.