Falcons take down the Urban High School Blues at home

Junior Carolyn Morris attempts to clear the ball away from an Urban offensive player.
Dempsey Boone

On Monday, April 1, the Archie Williams Falcons girls varsity lacrosse team hosted the Urban High School Blues in a non-league game. The Falcons entered the game with a 5-5 record while the Blues boasted a 7-2 record. The Falcons managed to pull out the win 12-7.

“We were able to win from the motivation of our past wins. What also helped was our practice, team bonding, and we always give 100 percent energy,” said senior captain Isabelle Connolly.

Senior Isabelle Connolly looks for an open pass. (Dempsey Boone)

The game started with both teams getting good looks offensively. Urban struck first, scoring the first goal of the game, but a goal from Isabelle shortly followed to tie the game. The Blues’ offense remained hot as they scored two more goals to end the quarter.

The second quarter started strong, with both teams scoring two early shots. With only 30 seconds left and down 3-5, the Falcons managed to tie up the game on back-to-back goals from senior Kyra Featherstone.

The second half began with a score of 5-5, and Urban came out strong with three shots on goal. Luckily for the Falcons, junior Ashira Kim-Price saved all three shots to keep the Blues scoreless in the third quarter. The Falcons ended the quarter with a score of 7-5 thanks to two goals from sophomore Ellen Winter. 

At the beginning of the fourth quarter, the Blues scored within seconds to cut their deficit to 7-6. The Falcons maintained possession for the next few minutes, as they got good looks on goal, but couldn’t quite finish. This was until freshman Ainsley Sullivan put two goals away, making the game 9-6.

Senior Audrey Poster prepares to tip off the ball against an Urban player. (Dempsey Boone)

The Falcons kept getting good looks on goal, putting away two more to further seal the game. Although Urban scored another goal, Archie Williams stayed on top to finish the game off strong. Isabel Waite scored one last goal, solidifying the final score at 12-7. 

“What got us the win today was persistence, faith in ourselves, and patience. We stayed with our game plan, and it eventually started working for us. Early on, we were all up in our heads thinking too much. But eventually, as our offense started working, we kind of relaxed a little bit and got into the flow of the game,” said head coach Ted Hellman.

“I am feeling good for our upcoming game. We weren’t sure how we would play against Urban, so coming out ahead today will give us good confidence for Terra Linda,” said senior captain Audrey Poster.

The Falcons look to continue this momentum into their next league game against the Terra Linda High School Trojans Thursday, April 4. The match will take place at 4:30 p.m. at Archie Williams.

Senior Isabelle Connolly makes a drive towards the goal with multiple defenders surrounding her. (Dempsey Boone)