Sophomore Sam Kaplan leads his sophomore classmates in the Falcons Chant during Fridays class colors spirit day.
Sophomore Sam Kaplan leads his sophomore classmates in the Falcons Chant during Friday’s class colors spirit day.
Dempsey Boone

March Spirit Week kicks off the spring season

To kick off the month of March, ASB hosted what could be considered an Archie Williams Olympic Spirit Week. With Winter Formal’s rally pushed off by the district Stop and Learn, ASB organized a new spirit week, celebrating the school’s namesake, during the month of March. 

Juniors Donovan Traub, Alexander Spielman, and Caroline Lozaw and senior Lucas Winter play Spike Ball for the lunch time activity of the spirit day. (Riley Liebman)

Kicking off with an Olympic-themed Monday, ASB encouraged students to represent a country of their choice using country-themed clothing and corresponding colors. During lunch, ASB invited students to the baseball field to play spikeball and participate in a high jump competition. 

Freshman Olliver Arnold appreciated that the spirit theme allowed him to support his country of choice.

“I liked the Olympic theme a lot because I usually don’t wear soccer jerseys but I got the chance today to show off my favorite team,” Olliver said.

On Tuesday, March 5, the “Airport Fits” theme gave students the chance to show off their comfiest airport attire, generally consisting of sweatpants and sweatshirts. To accompany the airport theme, ASB hosted a paper airplane-throwing contest in the gym during lunch. 

Two students dressed in their airport attire for the spirit day. (Carina Ridella) (Carina Ridella)

“The airport spirit day was one of my favorite spirit days because I love dressing comfy to school. [The theme] meant I could wear cozy fits with everyone else,” Olliver said.

For the theme for Wednesday, March 6, “Green Out,” ASB requested that students wear green attire in the spirit of Archie Williams’ school colors. Hosting a trivia game in the Student Center during lunch, ASB let Archie Williams students show off their knowledge. Students around campus represented Archie Williams by wearing green clothing along with featured school merchandise.

Sophomore Charlie Sorensen enjoyed seeing his fellow students around campus all dressed up.

“[I like this spirit day because] I get to represent Archie’s school colors,” Charlie said. “I think that the spirit [weeks] are fun weeks where you get to just show your school spirit.”

Senior Jack Gross shows off his jacket for Green Day on Wed, Mar. 6. (Luca Roy)

On Thursday, March 7, ASB coordinated “Dress Like a Teacher Day.” Tasking students and teachers to dress like one another, students put together their best teacher outfits, and teachers showed up dressed up as students. During lunch, ASB hosted a “Staff vs. Varsity Basketball” game, the Archie Williams’ varsity basketball team eventually winning in the last moments.

Freshman Jasper Adams attended the basketball game, finding both the event and the spirit day an exciting change to the normal school week.

“The basketball game was super entertaining, and it was a nice way to change up what I do during lunch. I really enjoyed “Dress Like a Teacher Day” because my teachers dressed up in sweatshirts and sweatpants, and it was cool to see [them wearing student clothes].” Jasper said.

Senior Alex Martikan attempts to grab the ball from Campus Supervisor Mike Clagett during the Staff v Student basketball game. (Emma McFerron)

To conclude Spirit Week, ASB hosted a school-wide rally and instructed everyone to wear their assigned “class colors”. Frosh wore green, sophomores red, juniors blue, and seniors black. 

The rally, with a performance from Dance Troupe, featured games called “Class Olympians,” where select students from each grade participated in musical chairs and a dance battle. Ultimately, the juniors won musical chairs, and the seniors won the dance battle, both ending in an entertaining fashion. 

Although rallies typically precede school events, Winter spirit week’s rally did not. According to sophomore and ASB member August Ehmann, the rally was initially intended to take place prior to Winter Formal, but was delayed due to the “Stop And Learn” that occurred the week of the dance. August believes that the separation of the rally and Winter Formal led to confusion and disappointment among students.

“Everyone looks forward to [the] rally before the dance. That’s what brings the whole school together, and [generates] the energy and excitement for the dance. Since we didn’t have that, it just threw everything off,” August said.

However, the rally was met with much enthusiasm from the student body. Despite the change of date, students avidly participated in Winter Spirit Week and anticipate ASB’s next event.