The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

Sports Scores
  • Apr 25 / Boys Varsity GolfArchie Williams High School - 244, Marin Catholic High School - 190
  • Apr 25 / Boys Varsity GolfArchie Williams High School - 244, Redwood High School - 188
  • Apr 24 / Boys Varsity VolleyballArchie Williams High School - 1, Tamalpais High School - 3
  • Apr 24 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 3, Lowell High School - 13
  • Apr 22 / Girls JV LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 7, Lowell High School - 1
  • Apr 22 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, Branson High School - 16
  • Apr 19 / Girls Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, Marin Catholic High School - 18
  • Apr 19 / Varsity BaseballArchie Williams High School - 9, San Rafael High School - 5
  • Apr 17 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, San Rafael High School - 18
The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

Atmospheric river hits California, causing power outages and damage across Marin County

A+downed+tree+hit+a+carport+in+Fairfax%2C+damaging+the+nearby+garage+and+car+underneath.+
Charlie Fee
A downed tree hit a carport in Fairfax, damaging the nearby garage and car underneath.

On Sunday, Feb. 4, the atmospheric river blowing through California hit Marin County. According to PowerOutage.us, 32,000 Marin homes lost power for over 24 hours due to heavy rainfall and winds that surpassed 70 miles per hour. Many Fairfax residents were powerless by 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, and San Anselmo followed close behind, with many residents losing power by 5:30 p.m. 

Over 200,000 Bay Area homes lost power, due to the extremely strong winds and rainfall taking out power lines. Officials recorded over two inches of rain in Marin during Sunday’s storm. 

Parts of Fairfax still don’t have power, and many downed trees have been recorded around the Marin area. A few fallen trees hit power lines, leaving power grids without power over 24 hours later. Redhill Shopping Center lost power along with San Anselmo from Feb. 4 to Feb 5., but was restored by the morning of Feb. 6.

Multiple roads and footpaths closed down in Fairfax due to flooding. (Charlie Fee)

Multiple power lines have faced damage in Marin County, and the Central Marin Fire Department has received numerous reports of lines snapping in half due to the extreme winds, some of which sparked small fires that officials quickly put out.

San Domenico School, Tamalpais High School, and White Hill Middle School all canceled classes for Monday, Feb. 5, citing continuing weather and safety concerns for school commuters. Archie Williams High School sent an email at 6:44 a.m. Monday, declaring school open after the school got power back around 11 p.m. the night before. 

According to CNN, the same storm has now ventured its way to Southern California. It has already caused hazardous mudslides in Los Angeles County and surrounding areas, leading the city of Los Angeles to declare a state of emergency. The Santa Monica Mountains above Malibu experienced 10.5 inches of rain, which led to an evacuation order by the LA County Sheriff’s Department on Feb. 4. 

PG&E has encouraged Marin County individuals to travel with caution, stay safe to the best of their abilities, and report any downed trees or power lines to 911.