The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

Sports Scores
  • Apr 25 / Boys Varsity GolfArchie Williams High School - 244, Marin Catholic High School - 190
  • Apr 25 / Boys Varsity GolfArchie Williams High School - 244, Redwood High School - 188
  • Apr 24 / Boys Varsity VolleyballArchie Williams High School - 1, Tamalpais High School - 3
  • Apr 24 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 3, Lowell High School - 13
  • Apr 22 / Girls JV LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 7, Lowell High School - 1
  • Apr 22 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, Branson High School - 16
  • Apr 19 / Girls Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, Marin Catholic High School - 18
  • Apr 19 / Varsity BaseballArchie Williams High School - 9, San Rafael High School - 5
  • Apr 17 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, San Rafael High School - 18
The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

TUHSD approves resolution for a 517 million dollar infrastructure bond

Courtesy of Adapt Pharma
A Godbe Research survey of voters in the TUHSD displays attitudes towards funding in the district.

On Tuesday, Nov. 14, the trustees of the Tamalpais Union High School District (TUHSD) unanimously approved a resolution for a 517 million dollar infrastructure bond. This bond will go on the ballot for Marin voters March 5, 2024. The bond looks to revitalize aspects of crucial systems and sports facilities throughout TUHSD.

For Archie Williams and all of TUHSD, the bond aims to revamp buildings throughout the district, as well as improve heating, electrical, and security systems. The bond also hopes to eliminate the portables that run along the creek at Archie Williams and replace them with outdoor learning decks. Along with this they hope to add air conditioning to every building and resurface sports fields.  

Archie Williams and Redwood High School are both over 60 years old, and Tam High School is over 100 years old. Due to the schools’ ages, improvements need to be made to the buildings from time to time.

“We have leaky roofs that need to be addressed. We have plumbing that needs to be addressed. We have inefficient heating and cooling systems, electrical systems, and security systems that need to be addressed,” said TUHSD Assistant Superintendent of Business and Operations Corbett Elsen.

Elsen believes the numbers look favorable for the bond to pass. For a school bond to pass, 55 percent of voters must approve it. According to Elsen, a survey commissioned by TUHSD shows that 59-60 percent of voters were inclined to approve the bond, just above what is needed, and within a margin of error. 

The last time an infrastructure bond of this size passed was in 2006. The bond modernized the interiors of all the classrooms and put in a new swimming pool. This new bond hopes to improve on the latest modernizations, including the addition of more outdoor learning spaces, gender neutral bathrooms, and creating more accessibility for people with physical limitations.

Archie Williams Principal LaSandra White believes this bond is vital for TUHSD.

“[This bond is important] especially for structural changes that have to happen to make sure buildings are accessible, and to make sure school is safe and comfortable and making learning more accessible,” White said.

Any resident within the boundaries of TUHSD will be able to vote on this bond measure.

Residents may not want to pay extra property taxes for the bond, even if it aims to improve TUHSD facilities. It is expected that not all voters will be in favor of this bond. 

TUHSD Superintendent Tara Taupier believes there are sound reasons for every voter to support the measure, even if residents do not have children in the school system. 

“One thing we know is that the quality of our schools is reflected in property values. Having up-to-date, safe, green schools helps the property values of the community,” Taupier said.

The modernizations in the new bond will have large benefits for the school district and its communities. Officially on the ballot in March, voters will decide whether or not the bond is passed and placed into effect.