“Volley, spike, kill”: Falcons keep their streak alive

Senior Lindsey Jones helps sophomore Ellery Ford after a tough play.
Dempsey Boone

On Tuesday, Sep. 5th, Archie Williams Varsity Girls Volleyball took on Terra Linda High School at the Falcon’s gym. The Trojans started the game stronger than the Falcons, but the Falcons improved with each set. In the end, TLHS was no match for AWHS, and the Falcons extended their winning streak to four games. 

Prior to the referee blowing the starting whistle,the Falcons suffered a devastating injury. During warmups, senior Amelia Richer went for a diving play and didn’t land correctly. Amelia was immediately rushed off the court, and according to head coach Lisa Hudson, she suffered a knee injury. 

Senior Lydia Rivera serves the ball to the opposing team during the final set. (Isaac Terry)

Amelia stayed strong and continued to watch the entire game. This injury impacted the Falcons at the start of the game, and they lost the first set 25-23.

“It was so hard not having her in the game and especially not having her in the back row with me,” said sophomore Alyse Rosen. “Hopefully she’ll get better soon, and we all love her so much and hope she gets better quickly.”

Freshman Lydia Battaglia spikes the ball against two Terra Linda blockers. (Leo Grandmaison)

In the following sets, the Falcons responded well to their opponents. At the start of the second set they led 4-3. Thanks to kills by seniors Reese Fraser and Lindsey Jones, the team won seven straight points to make the set 11-3. Archie Williams overpowered Terra Linda and won the set 25-13 to tie the game 1-1. 

Archie Williams dominated 6-0 to start the third set. Terra Linda attempted to take the lead and came within three points of the Falcons multiple times. But in the end, the Falcons outplayed the Trojans and won the third set 25-20.

Archie Williams carried this momentum into the fourth set and took a comfortable 17-3 lead, achieving a fourth set win with a score of 25-12. This finalized the Falcons’ win and extended their winning streak to four games. 

Despite not playing with the usual roster, due to Amelia’s injury, Alyse put in the defensive work and ended the game with 22 digs. On the offensive side, Reese finished the game with 15 kills and sophomore Ellery Ford with 16 assists.

Archie Williams and Terra Linda Varsity volleyball players high five before their game. (Leo Grandmaison)

The team plays their next game against Windsor High School Thursday, September 6th at the Archie Williams main gym.

“The girls definitely swung in a lot of balls tonight and I was really impressed with our serving and our passion tonight was really strong. And our defense was really, really good. So it sets us up for tomorrow night and hopefully we’re not too tired and we’re going to come out ready” said Head Coach Lisa Hudson.

Senior Reese Fraser serves the ball to the Trojans during the second set of the game. (Dempsey Boone)