“Our Ancestor’s Wildest Dreams”: STAAR hosts vibrant celebration of BIPOC art

Arantza Monge

Artwork is displayed at STAAR’s second annual BIPOC Art Exhibit.

On Friday, April 21, Archie Williams leadership class, Students Taking Action for Anti-Racism (STAAR), hosted its second annual Art Exhibition in the Student Center. This year’s theme was “Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams.” 

In addition to observing the submitted art, guests mingled in the vibrant atmosphere and snacked on tasty treats such as empanadas. STAAR members led attendees in a spirited dance while participants enjoyed rocking out to well-known songs such as “Wobble” by V.I.C.

“The dancing was my favorite part besides the artwork, it was very lively,” said freshman Cate Burch

The pieces on display included everything from photography, to clothing and poems. The work highlighted artists in the BIPOC community. 

Guests of the Art Exhibition observe artwork and snack on empanadas and more. (Arantza Monge)

“In a campus that is primarily white, we would like to display talents from our BIPOC community,” said Alexis Ayala, a senior and second-year STAAR member.

Additionally, the exhibition was an opportunity for many students to express their emotions and experiences. 

“Since I have trouble with going to school and having too much pressure, sometimes I would draw or doodle to help me get inspiration and motivate myself,” said sophomore Stephanie Salazar, one of the participating artists. 

Stephanie created a multimedia piece titled “Schoolophobia” with freshman Daisy Rodas.

Nearing the end of the exhibit, attendees voted on their favorite pieces. The money raised from the event will be put towards art supplies for the students who participated and possibly used to make a collective art piece. 

The event featured not only art created by students of color but two local artists as well, Yuan Chen and Ashely Adams, whose art was available for purchase. 

Based in Orange County California, Adams aims to create pieces that visualize human connection. According to her website, “she believes art can act as another form of communication and brings people together to share their stories when they may not have felt comfortable or listened to otherwise.”

STAAR members Summer Bradley and Sigrún Aron serve horchata and empanadas to guests at the exhibition. (Arantza Monge)

Chen is a multimedia artist born in Fuzhou, China. She migrated to the U.S in 1999 and now creates multimedia visual art. 

“My work reflects what is accessible in the present moment, embracing a desire to realize the tangible beauty which lies beyond the momentary and impermanent,” Chen says on her page on the Marin Arts and Culture Guide website.

Altogether, STAAR assembled a dynamic ensemble of art that showcased and supported the work of BIPOC artists at Archie Williams.