Performance Workshop is a hit with energetic 90’s performance

Luca Roy

Sophomores Kylie Clarke, Sam Truman, Stella Berlin, and seniors Angel Amador, Gabe Wallis, and Avery Chapman on stage during the concert.

Archie Williams’ Music Performance Workshop (PW) class kicked off the first concert of the year by welcoming students and staff to a ’90s themed show. Heavy metal songs such as “Enter Sandman” by Metallica and soulful R&B such as “Waterfalls” by TLC rang through the Little Theater during fourth period on Friday, Oct. 28.

The class of musicians broke up into six bands, each performing two or three songs throughout the hour-long show. Seniors Angel Amador and Roman Leitz ran the show, cracking jokes between each performance to entertain and energize the crowd for upcoming acts.

The concert, led by PW teacher Chip Boaz, had a strong turnout, as seats were hard to come by. All bands included talented performers, but senior Oliver John stole the spotlight. Oliver, a lead singer for one band and the drummer for another, displayed his versatility both as a singer and percussionist. The Smoke Detectors impressed the crowd with their rendition of  “Enter Sandman,” a heavy metal song normally sung by low-register voices. Archie Williams students Casey Sorensen, Hadley Frymier, Stella Gregor, Ruby Vetter, Andrea Gomez, Finn Cieply, Arlo Jacobs, Tobi Schertell, Elinori Blue and Ian Andrews used their powerful vocals and instruments to match the Metallica energy. 

Another crowd pleaser was “Waterfalls” by TLC. Performed by Brianna Tomsett, Elliana Rivera, Magnus Finch, Lila Fox, Donovan Traub, Elijah Galland and Noah Casey, the song provided a refreshing change-in-pace from previous, heavier songs. The Front Street Girls also performed, playing “I Want It That Way” by the Backstreet Boys, and encouraged the audience to sing along and sway to the chorus. 

To finish the concert, The Lovers, consisting of band members Santiago Desruisseau, Gabe Wallis, Oliver John, Tyler Wolin and Stella Berlin performed “Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana. The Lovers added a twist to this rock classic by including piano throughout the song. The audience immediately celebrated PW’s first concert as soon as the last chord rang on the electric guitar. 

Each band brought its own energy to the stage, making each performance abstract and unique. For their first performance as a class, PW brought a sense of professionalism and dedication to their craft.