Falcons girls varsity lacrosse soar over Bulldogs

Archie Williams Falcons huddle during halftime in their game against San Rafael on March 21.
Maisie Ferner

Archie Williams girls varsity lacrosse secured a 16-1 triumph at their home field Thursday, March 21, against the San Rafael High School Bulldogs. Archie Williams’ relentless offense left San Rafael struggling to keep pace throughout the game.

Archie Williams senior Isabelle Connelly prepares to pass the ball to a Falcon teammate. (Amalya Rajparia)

Archie Williams and San Rafael have an ongoing rivalry from last season, making this win a boost to team morale. 

Archie Williams junior Stella Smoot attests the importance of this win to the continuous competition between the teams.

“In the past, [San Rafael] has been a challenging team for us, so we didn’t know what to expect coming into this game. As a team, we have definitely improved. We work so [much better] together compared to at the beginning of the year. I’m just incredibly proud of us,” Stella said.

The Falcons started the game with intensity, taking control of the ball quickly. Senior team captain and attacker Kyra Featherstone scored the first goal with a powerful strike that dipped just below the goalie’s reach. 

Archie Williams maintained their offensive presence by securing possession after the toss-up. The team swiftly capitalized on their momentum with the help of a goal from senior captain Isabelle Connolly. 

Freshman attack Ainsley Sullivan soon followed up with shots of her own, a result of the team’s strong communication on the field. Freshman attack Olive Diamond showcased her skills with a well-executed goal, assisted by senior captain midfielder Audrey Poster, extending their lead to 5-0. 

To start the second quarter, Stella scored off of a penalty, placing a goal into the right bottom corner of the goal. The Falcon’s energy maintained throughout the entire quarter, ending the first half 7-0.

The Falcons began the third quarter by creating opportunities for Audrey, Kyra and Ainsley to assist each other, scoring multiple goals. With 4:55 remaining in the third quarter, Isabelle landed a behind-the-back shot, further widening the lead to 14-0.

Archie Williams sophomore Ellen Winter cradles the ball past defenders. (Amalya Rajparia)

As the fourth quarter began, the Bulldogs began to rally some offensive flow. The Bulldogs attempted several shots on goal that junior goalie Ashira Kim-Price defended successfully. 

The end score was 16-1, securing a vital, morale-boosting win for the Falcons. While the Falcons were able to stay in the lead for the whole game, the team felt it was a great learning experience and helped them refine their skills. 

“The outcome of the game was great for us. [We] won by quite a margin. But, [I] was proud of the way the team played, they moved the ball well, which was what our focus was,” said head coach Ted Hellman.

The next girls varsity lacrosse game is scheduled for Monday, March 25, against St. Vincent de Paul High School in Petaluma. The Falcons will channel the confidence gained from this game to extend their streak. 

“It gave our team the biggest confidence boost. Yeah, I think we’re just ready for the next one,” Isabelle said.

Sophomore Ellen Winter prepares to pass the ball to a teammate. (Maisie Ferner)