The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

Sports Scores
  • Apr 25 / Boys Varsity GolfArchie Williams High School - 244, Marin Catholic High School - 190
  • Apr 25 / Boys Varsity GolfArchie Williams High School - 244, Redwood High School - 188
  • Apr 24 / Boys Varsity VolleyballArchie Williams High School - 1, Tamalpais High School - 3
  • Apr 24 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 3, Lowell High School - 13
  • Apr 22 / Girls JV LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 7, Lowell High School - 1
  • Apr 22 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, Branson High School - 16
  • Apr 19 / Girls Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, Marin Catholic High School - 18
  • Apr 19 / Varsity BaseballArchie Williams High School - 9, San Rafael High School - 5
  • Apr 17 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, San Rafael High School - 18
The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

Falcons Boys Soccer draw level with the San Rafael Bulldogs

Luca Roy
Archie Williams senior Cole Sullivan races a San Rafael defender to the ball.

On January 25, the Falcons varsity soccer team matched up against the San Rafael Bulldogs in a game at the Falcons home field. AWHS controlled the ball for most of the game with many more shots than SRHS but the game ended in a 1-1 tie.

The game started with possession exchanging back and forth but the Falcons were getting better looks offensively. The goalkeeper for the Bulldogs had two saves towards the end of the half. With halftime around the corner, it felt like it would be 0-0 at the half until SRHS squeezed in a goal from a tight angle. The Bulldogs led the game at halftime 1-0. 

Junior Chala Rosenthal prepares for an attempt to win back the ball during the first half. (Luca Roy)

“They are a good team but I think we played down to their level. We let their pressure get to us and we couldn’t finish in the critical moments,” said senior captain Cole Sullivan.

The Falcons got off to a quick start in the second half with junior Jake Morrison scoring an early goal. The shot got by a San Rafael defender and went into the top right corner. Unfortunately, the Bulldogs goalie hit his head on the side post whilst trying to save the shot. Sadly he was not able to return to the game.

Junior Willy Finley turns on the jets to chase down a ball in an attempt to drive it down the field. (Luca Roy)

The intensity picked up heavily as the game was getting closer to its end. The Falcons were getting all the shot opportunities they needed. They just were never able to finish and get the goal. The game concluded with a final score of 1-1.

“We are doing the right thing. We just need to execute. We’re creating opportunities and playing how we want to play,” said head coach Rene Ayala. “It’s just a matter of execution and finishing, just having that composure in the moment of truth.”

Junior Jake Morrison lines up a kick to his teammate down the field. (Luca Roy)

The Falcons play their next game on January 29, against the Tamalpais Hawks. This is a critical game for the Falcons since they sit in the two-seed with the Hawks behind them. Both teams could use a win in this game to help their chances of making the playoffs.“Our next game is huge. We are trying to qualify for the MCAL so every game matters a lot for us,” said senior captain Max Crock.