The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

Sports Scores
  • Apr 25 / Boys Varsity GolfArchie Williams High School - 244, Marin Catholic High School - 190
  • Apr 25 / Boys Varsity GolfArchie Williams High School - 244, Redwood High School - 188
  • Apr 24 / Boys Varsity VolleyballArchie Williams High School - 1, Tamalpais High School - 3
  • Apr 24 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 3, Lowell High School - 13
  • Apr 22 / Girls JV LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 7, Lowell High School - 1
  • Apr 22 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, Branson High School - 16
  • Apr 19 / Girls Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, Marin Catholic High School - 18
  • Apr 19 / Varsity BaseballArchie Williams High School - 9, San Rafael High School - 5
  • Apr 17 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, San Rafael High School - 18
The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

Falcons soar past Mustangs to continue their win streak

Willy Finley
Archie Williams senior Julian Nichol and the Archie Williams crowd watch in anticipation following a three-point shot.

On Friday, Jan. 19, Archie Williams boys varsity basketball faced off against the San Marin Mustangs at the Falcons home nest. The Falcons and the Mustangs battled back and forth throughout the game and the Falcons came out victorious over the Mustangs.  This was also the Falcon’s first-ever alumni game which brought a great atmosphere for the players. Past alumni from Archie Williams showed up and sat in the crowd to cheer on our fellow Falcons vs the Mustangs. 

Archie Williams sophomore Grady Stewart shoots over a San Marin defender.
(Willy Finley)

“I think it was great honestly, we put on a show for the fans and had a great performance all around.” said sophomore Brian Wright

Both the Mustangs and Falcons kept the score close throughout the whole first quarter. The game was tied thrice throughout the quarter, but the Falcons ended the quarter up 11-10. 

The second quarter was much higher scoring than the first quarter. Right off the jump, the Falcons went on their largest scoring run of the night outscoring the Mustangs 15-2 increasing their lead to 26-14.  San Marin ended the half by scoring some clutch points to keep the game within distance. The Falcons came up big in this half winning it 30-22.

“We had a great offense, and our defense was a little shaky but we were able to pick it up after the second half,” said Wright.

Up eight points over the Mustangs, the Falcons came out firing to begin the third quarter. Senior Julian Nichol drained two three-pointers to increase AWHS lead. The Mustangs weren’t going down without a fight and matched almost all of the Falcon’s points. The Falcons kept up their persistent scoring and developed a 12-point lead, ending the third quarter up 47-35.

Going into the final quarter, the scoring was alternating between both teams. As the game went on, the Falcons began to pull away and scored 13 points to go ahead of the Mustangs by double digits, 56-43 deep into the fourth quarter. In a comeback attempt, the Mustangs put up a quick eight points, but it wasn’t enough, and the Falcons prevailed, winning the game 68-57. 

“We wanted it more, I think we are the best at playing as a team when it comes to the Marin County Athletic League (MCAL),” said head coach Russel Bauer.

The Falcons play their next game on Tuesday, Jan. 23 against the Novato Hornets at Archie Williams.