Falcons Basketball continues hot streak against the Trojans

Sophomore Alexander Hamblet helps up junior Dante Stallone after he was fouled.
Silas Eyler

On Tuesday, Jan. 16, the Archie Williams boys varsity basketball team took on the Terra Linda Trojans in the Trojans newly remodeled gym. Both teams battled throughout the game with the Falcons sealing another win 76-67. The Falcons have now won six of their last seven games.

“We’ve built up so much trust with each other over the last three months. It’s really beautiful to see it all coming together,” said head coach Russel Bauer.

Terra Linda began their senior night honoring Jameson Zamlich who sadly passed away last January. The entire team walked out with Jameson’s parents before the game. 

Senior Julian Nichol dribbles ball away from to Trojan players. (Sean Chamberlin)

In the first quarter, both teams exchanged possessions, and the game tied up multiple times. The Trojans kept the game narrow, ending the quarter with the Falcons winning 13-12.

The Falcons went on a 10-0 run at the start which helped them build their lead. Following this run, the Trojans battled and went on a 6-18 run of their own. 

As the half was ending, sophomore Ephraim Sohn hit a three-pointer to break the tie and go up three points in the score. The Trojans hit two free throws to keep the score close. The quarter ended 31-30 in the Falcon’s favor.

“We were in the locker room and we said we need to turn up and surprise them with our energy,” said sophomore Grady Stewart.

The Falcons started the third quarter up by one, however, the Trojans began to take charge and develop a lead. The Trojans went on a 2-8 scoring run, leading the game 33-38. AWHS managed to close the Trojan’s lead to 49-50 finishing the quarter. 

AWHS entered the fourth by scoring a rapid fourteen points compared to TLHS’s two points to take the lead 66-54. The Trojans tried to keep the game close but the Falcons kept a consistent 10-point lead. 

Senior guard Owen Bugas led the team in scoring with 22 points, as well as sophomore Grady Stewart who put up 17 points to help the Falcons pull away and win the game 76-67 over the Trojans.

“[I am proud of the] boys for being resilient, sticking with it, and figuring out a way to pull it off,” said Coach Bauer.

The Falcons look to continue their four-game win streak on Friday, Jan. 19 at home against San Marin.