The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

Sports Scores
  • Apr 25 / Boys Varsity GolfArchie Williams High School - 244, Marin Catholic High School - 190
  • Apr 25 / Boys Varsity GolfArchie Williams High School - 244, Redwood High School - 188
  • Apr 24 / Boys Varsity VolleyballArchie Williams High School - 1, Tamalpais High School - 3
  • Apr 24 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 3, Lowell High School - 13
  • Apr 22 / Girls JV LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 7, Lowell High School - 1
  • Apr 22 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, Branson High School - 16
  • Apr 19 / Girls Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, Marin Catholic High School - 18
  • Apr 19 / Varsity BaseballArchie Williams High School - 9, San Rafael High School - 5
  • Apr 17 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, San Rafael High School - 18
The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

Falcons stumbled in defeat against defending MCAL champion Branson Bulls

Carolyn Morris
Junior Dante Stallone drives towards the basket against Branson defender.

On Tuesday, Jan. 9, the Archie Williams boys varsity basketball team played against the reigning Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) champions, the Branson Bulls in the Falcons home gym. Although the Falcons kept it close throughout, the Bulls ended up pulling out the win.

Senior Owen Bugas jumps above Branson defender to shoot the ball.

In the first quarter, the Falcons started off hot, hitting four shots from behind the three point line. They were leading in this quarter by as many as 10 points,

Senior Julian Nichol takes his free throw after being fouled. (Dempsey Boone)

18-8. Branson sophomore DJ Armstrong ended the quarter with a halfcourt buzzerbeater making the score 18-13.

To start the second quarter, Branson went on a 0-9 run to take the lead from the Falcons 18-22. The Falcons continued their efficient shooting, keeping them close with the defending champions. At the end of the half Archie Williams led Branson 30-29.

In the third quarter, Branson found their stride and controlled the game. They forced many turnovers and the Falcons struggled to score. The Bulls would go on an 0-11 run to take a commanding lead. The quarter ended with Branson leading 49-38 ahead of the Falcons.

“We can’t keep giving wins away because of forced turnovers, that really killed us tonight,” said senior Owen Bugas.

Senior Owen Bugas looks for an open pass with pressure from a Branson side of the court. (Luca Roy)

The fourth quarter was much of the same with Branson keeping their assertive lead. Although the Falcons started to hit some shots near the end of the game, it was not enough to rally a winning drive. The Falcons ended the game losing 57-65.

Head coach Russel Bauer said a key player for the Falcons was sophomore Brian Wright and his ability to finish shots inside.

Archie Williams Dance Troupe performs during the halftime break. (Dempsey Boone)

“To hang with a team who has dreams of winning state shows the grit and talent of this team and I am proud of them for that,” Bauer said. 

The Falcons play their next game against Miramonte High School on Saturday, Jan. 13. They hope to take home a victory in an away game for the Falcons.