Archie Williams soars past James Logan and in to the next round of NCS

Senior, Isobel Samlihan,  prepares to pass to a teamate away from the James Logan defence.
Senior, Isobel Samlihan, prepares to pass to a teamate away from the James Logan defence.
Peyton Price

On Monday, Nov. 3rd, the Archie Willams girls varsity water polo team took on the James Logan Colts in the quarter finals of the North Coast Section tournament (NCS). The Colts were the visiting team, meeting the Archie Williams Falcons at the Marin Academy pool. Across all competitions, the Colts were 15-8, while the Falcons were 17-7. 

The Falcons came into the game strong, with senior Loretta Hovey scoring an early goal to put the Falcons in the lead. The James Logan Colts retaliated with a goal shortly after, keeping the game close. The Falcons then put on an offensive clinic scoring three consecutive goals, from Junior Avery Hinkleman, and sisters Loretta and Holly Hovey.

Junior, Avery Hinkelman, takes a shot against the James Logan goalie. (Peyton Price)

The second quarter was all Falcons, with goals from senior Delaney Fair, Loretta and Avery early on. The Colts tried to fight back with a goal making it 7-2 but the Hovey sisters struck once again, scoring one goal each making the score at half 9-2. 

“I guess we got off to a slow start, but I think we picked it up in the second quarter and I think we got the game rolling.” said Loretta.

Loretta started off the third quarter strong for the Falcons, scoring her 5th goal of the afternoon. The James Logan Colts tried to keep the game close with two goals, cutting the Archie Williams lead to 10-4. The Falcons stayed strong, with 4 successive goals and an amazing defensive display, shutting out the James Logan Colts for the remainder of the quarter, taking a 14-4 lead heading into the final quarter. 

The fourth quarter started off with a goal from the side by sophomore Nadya Wachelka. Shortly after this Falcon goal the Colts scored three in a row in a comeback attempt, but in the end the Falcons were too much. Senior Cate Logan scored a late one to finish off the game at 16-7. 

“Our defense fuels everything, it drives our offense and fuels our counter attacks. This is what we did well,” said Archie Williams head coach Todd Duplanty

The Hovey sisters lead the Falcons to victory with Loretta having five goals and Holly having three. 

Senior, Loretta Hovey, makes a shot against James Logan scoring the first point of the game. (Peyton Price)

Coming off their outstanding 16-7 victory, the Archie Willams girls varsity water polo team prepares for their next game, playing in the NCS semi finals on Wednesday, Nov. 8th. They will be facing off against Northgate High School with the winner advancing to the NCS championship game.