Archie Williams Girls Volleyball dominates on Senior Night

Senior Lindsey Jones walks down isle with her parents.
Silas Eyler

On Wednesday, Oct. 11, it was Archie William’s girls varsity volleyball senior night at home against the San Marin Mustangs.  The Falcons ended up dominating this one, winning the match 3-0. 

The team honored the seniors on the team by having them play the majority of the game. This victory marked the start to the end of the senior’s last season with the team. 

Sophomore Alyse Rosen prepares to serve during the second set of the Falcons’ Wednesday game in San Anselmo. (Elliot Smith)

“It was a great senior night, all of our seniors got to play and they all played amazing.” Said AWHS head coach Lisa Hudson.

The first set was fairly close at the start as the Falcons and Mustangs exchanged points but then the Falcons started to fly above. The Falcons won the set 25-15 with a powerful kill by senior co-captain Reese Fraser to end the set. 

The Falcons were able to create a comfortable lead in the second set. During this set, senior Lydia Rivera showed her serving skills and won eight serves in a row to win this set at the end, winning this one 25-11 . She finishes it off with a strong kill that had the Mustangs on the floor. 

Much of the same, the third set was all Falcons. From the start of the set, they took an early lead 7-1. Senior Amelia Richer missed the past few games because of a knee injury but she was able to make a comeback on her senior night. She came into the set and won nine serves in a row to win this game for the Falcons. 

The Falcons key to success was their ability to carry their momentum for many points at a time.  This included a 17-7 run in the first set, a 22-3 run in the second set, and an 18-3 run in the final set. 

Coming off a concussion, sophomore Ellery Ford played great leading the team in assists with 23. On top of that, she also had five digs and three aces. 

AWHS sophomores Felicity Brown and Ellory Ford leap to block an incoming spike. (Dempsey Boone)

The night ended with some emotional speeches from younger varsity players, sending a proper goodbye to the seniors on this team.  

“It’s surreal that my season’s coming to an end, I’ve had a lot of fun with this team and just had a lot of great memories,”  Reese said.

“It’s so amazing to be a senior on this team, but also very sad. I’ve had so much fun on this team and I am disappointed that it’s almost over,” said other senior co-captain Lindsey Jones.

The rest of the season is also looking great for the Falcons after this victory.

This team looks to win their next game playing at Marin Catholic on Friday, Oct. 13.

“We’re peaking at the right time, we’ve gotten through our injuries and some sicknesses and I’m really excited for the playoffs,” Hudson said.