Archie Williams Boys Water Polo swims up to the challenge to take down the Trojans

Junior Whitman Flake winding up to shoot past defender on Terra Lindas goal.
Junior Whitman Flake winding up to shoot past defender on Terra Linda’s goal.
Silas Eyler

The Archie Williams boys varsity water polo team took on the undefeated Terra Linda (TL) Trojans on Sept. 27 in a highly anticipated match at the Archie Williams pool. This game was one to watch, attracting a major crowd that cheered on the teams throughout the game. Both team’s offenses went at it for the entirety of the match, but in the end the Falcons were able to seal another MCAL win vs. the Trojans. 

The first quarter started off rapidly with the Trojans getting a quick goal in behind the Falcons, though the Falcons quickly responded with freshman Nate Greenberg getting one back to make it 1-1 early in the quarter. The scoring didn’t stop there, TL  netted two more, but not before two goals scored by junior Max Gauna and sophomore Nolan Anderson ended the first quarter tied 3-3.

Junior Whitman Flake winding up to shoot on Terra Linda’s goal. (Sean Chamberlin)

Going into the second quarter the Falcons were determined to go ahead of the Trojans, but TL came out strong and got another quick goal to start the quarter. Despite being down 4-3, junior Hayden Long took charge and scored two goals to put the Falcons ahead 5-4. 

The second quarter continued back and forth with TL responding to each of Archie Williams’ goals. Archie Williams junior Jacob Carrera and Nate scored twice to eventually tie it back up 7-7. The game went into halftime tied once again.

“Defense, it’s always defense, we gave up too many goals so if we can play better defense, we’ll be happy,” said boys varsity water polo Head Coach Matt Swanson. 

Tied at halftime, the Falcons in the third quarter looked to gain the lead to try and finish the Trojans off. Hayden and junior Whitman Flake scored two clutch early goals from Archie Williams, thinking it was enough to be in control to get the win. However,  quickly after the Falcons’ two goals, the Trojans responded with two late goals back to evidently tie the game up 9-9 heading into the fourth quarter. 

These two teams went into the fourth quarter being tied seven different times throughout the game. The final quarter started off with a powerful long-range shot from Jacob putting Archie Williams up 10-9. Although shortly after, TL showed their determination to win by tying the game up with another goal yet again. 

Senior Haakon Lacey preparing to make a save against Terra Linda. (Silas Eyler)

After Terra Linda’s goal, it was all Falcons ahead. The Falcons scored three late goals from; Whitman, Nate and Jacob, closing the game out with a 13-10 win over the Trojans. 

“We started out slow in the first half, but in the second half, we really pulled it together, speeding everything up and playing together as a team,”  said senior Goalie Haakon Lacy.

Jake and Hayden led the Falcons with three goals each. Two of Jake’s goals came in the fourth period helping defend the home nest with the win. 

The Falcons look to defend their home again on Tuesday, Oct. 10 against the San Domenico Panthers. 

Junior Jacob Carrera looks to make a pass to one of his teammates. (Silas Eyler)