Falcons Volleyball looks to soar past difficult loss against Bulls

Archie Williams varsity volleyball celebrates after a successful rally.
Luca Roy

On Sept. 27, Archie Williams Girls Varsity Volleyball faced off against the Branson Bulls at home. Branson dominated throughout the majority of the match, resulting in a loss for the Falcons 0-3. 

Archie Williams seniors Lindsey Jones and Amelia Richer did not play in the match because of injuries sustained earlier in the season. Despite their absence, both teams traded points throughout the first set until Branson pulled ahead. Due to a lack of serve-receive abilities, the Falcons couldn’t turn the set around, resulting in an 8-25 loss.

“We came out in the first set really energetic and had five amazing blocks which brought all the energy up. And then I think we got a little bit behind and [it got] hard to bring smiles back,” said Lisa Hudson, the Falcons head coach.

As the second set began sophomore Alyse Rosen exhibited high energy immediately, making several excellent digs throughout the set. 

Junior Rainey Preston jump-serves a ball during the second period. (Luca Roy)

“I think we came into this game being a little nervous because it’s Branson, and they’re number one, but I think we had fun, and it was a pretty good game,” Alyse said.

The pressure got to the Falcons as Branson secured an early lead once more. Compounding mistakes from Archie Williams put them into a deeper hole, and the Bulls’ aggressive spikes only propelled the Falcons farther behind. However, despite the situation, Archie Williams stayed supportive and never got down on each other. 

“When we’re happy and having fun it’s a whole different game,” Alyse said.

Branson’s skillful last-minute saves propelled them through the second set, causing them to lead 10-3 within several minutes. Still, the Falcons persisted, led by senior captain Reese Fraser. However, they couldn’t pull through, resulting in a final score of 7-25 in the second set.

“Our serve-receive and our hitting needed the most work,” Lindsey said, regarding the second set. 

In the third set of the game, Branson climbed. Archie Williams couldn’t turn the game around and lost the third set 12-25.

Despite the loss, Falcons coach Lisa Hudson offered support at the end of the game.

Freshman Lydia Battaglia jumps to spike a ball to Branson blockers. (Luca Roy)

“I’m just proud of my girls. Yeah, we’re down a couple of players, [but] I think everyone’s doing their best out there,” Hudson said.

Archie Williams Girls Volleyball played again yesterday, Sept. 29th, at Redwood against Redwood. With two losses under their belt, this game was pivotal in their Marin County Athletic League championship journey. Read more about it next.

————————————-