Archie Williams Football battles in tough loss against San Marin

Archie Williams senior Nicholas Lillevand sprints to the end zone to capitalize on the Falcons only score of the game.
Archie Williams senior Nicholas Lillevand sprints to the end zone to capitalize on the Falcons’ only score of the game.
Willy Finley

On Friday, September 22, the Falcons battled it out in a game under the lights at San Marin. The Falcons were coming off their first win of the season over Concord High School, but ended up taking a tough loss with a final score of 49-7. 

San Marin started off strong, scoring two touchdowns in the first quarter. They stayed dominant to start the second quarter with a touchdown drive to lead 21-0. AWHS struggled to break down the San Marin defense, and were unable to get a first down in the whole first half. Defensively the Falcons couldn’t stop the high powered Mustang passing attack led by senior quarterback Dominic Ingrassia and junior wide receiver Wesley Timmel. They connected for two touchdowns to put the Mustangs up 35-0 heading into the half.

Archie Williams senior Nicholas Lillevand is successful on his extra point kick following his own 66 yard receiving touchdown. (Willy Finley)

“Skill wise, we can rock with them (San Marin), I think many teams can rock with them, but they don’t make mistakes very often and that’s what makes them a good team,” said senior wide receiver Nicholas Lillevand

Senior quarterback Sam Black threw a great ball to Nicholas Lillevand, who ran for a 65 yard score to put the Falcons on the board. San Marin didn’t bat an eye after allowing their first points and scored one more touchdown in the fourth quarter. The final score ended up being 49-7. “I think we were covering well on the defense, it was hard to get the ball moving on offense, but when we did, it was really out there.” Said wide receiver, Nicholas Lillevand.

Archie Williams Football will play their next game against Tamalpais High School on Saturday, September 30 on their home field. Archie Williams football hopes to secure their next win this Saturday and to improve throughout the rest of the season.

“I think overall we grew as a team and we stuck together and maybe it wasn’t the outcome we wanted or we didn’t play as well as we should have, but we came together as a team and I think we’ll see great improvement in these next few weeks.” Said head coach, Anthony Jackson.