Archie soars to their first MCAL win against Novato

Archie Williams falcons celebrate the win after a hard rally.
Dempsey Boone

Sept. 20, Archie Williams Girls Varsity Volleyball took on Novato High School in a home game. This was their second league game of the MCAL season. Archie Williams looked to bounce back from their loss against Tamalpais High School.

Archie Williams came out dominant in the first set with a score of 11-3. Their on-point serves included a few aces. The Falcons continued their strong performance and finished the set with a 25-10 win.

“I think we played pretty good. We had two missing starters, which definitely affected us. We came out a little slow and lacked energy, but I think we picked it up toward the end there,”  said senior Reese Fraser.

The Hornets kept up with the Falcons to start the second set, but a run helped the Falcons reach a 25-18 win. Reese lead the way with multiple clutch kills.

Sophomore Alyse Rosen steps up to serve the ball vs the Novato hornets. (Silas Eyler)

The Hornets stung the Falcons for the majority of the third set leading 15-13 halfway through. After that, the Falcons went on a 12-1 run led by sophomores Ellery Ford and Alyse Rosen. They won the set 25-16 which gave them the 3-0 victory over the Hornets.

“I think we passed and served really well, and overall I think our players stepped up and did their job. It wasn’t as challenging of a team. And in those kinds of conditions it really takes a lot of focus to not stick to their level, and I was impressed with how my girls were able to keep the energy and focus up,” said Coach Lisa Hudson.

Reese led Archie Williams with 10 kills and five aces, Alyse with 13 digs, and Ellery with 18 assists. Unfortunately the Falcons played without two star players, seniors Lindsey Jones and Amelia Richer. This left the Falcons running a 5-1 rotation which they don’t normally do. 

The Falcons play their next game Friday Sept. 22, against San Rafael High School.  Currently at 1-1 in MCALs, the Falcons look to improve their record in the matchup against the Bulldogs.

Sophomore Alyse Rosen goes for a dig to save the play. (Silas Eyler)