Falcons girls tennis team battles Redwood but doesn’t succeed in pulling out the win

Archie Williams senior, Maya Sanders, serves on the final point of her victorious doubles set.
Devin Moss

Tuesday, Sept. 12, the Archie Williams Girls Varsity Tennis team hosted Redwood for their fifth match of the season. After starting 2-2 in MCAL, the girls had their toughest matchup of the year and fell through despite their best efforts. 

“I think we played well considering the circumstances. Redwood is one of the best teams in Marin. I thought we showed a lot of grit and a lot of fight,” said Archie Williams tennis coach Haden Ongaro.

The singles matches didn’t go as hoped for the Falcons, who lost all four, but the doubles matches were close. The Falcons only came away with one win from sophomores Delphina Dong and Amara Lee-Watson.

Archie Williams sophomore, Delphina Dong, returns a serve from Redwood. (Devin Moss)

Two of the doubles matches ended in tie breakers. Seniors Maya Sanders and Samantha Dvorin lost 10-8 in a stressful tie breaker. The match included tough shots and a few controversial calls.

“It was fun to play a strong team like Redwood. We fell behind in the first set but played really strongly in the second set,” Maya said. “I was bummed that we lost but was proud of the way Samantha and I played.”

Siena Michelson and Maya Evans played the other match that went to a tie break. This match was filled with great plays from both sides. Redwood was powerful in their service game while Archie was keeping up with strong returns. In the end, it came down to the wire, but the Giants won 11-9 with a shot down the line that couldn’t be returned.

The Falcons had skilled communication during their doubles games, which helped down the stretch in a lot of the close games. Archie Williams also stayed strong mentally, as they were up against one of the best teams in Marin and fought the whole time through.

The Falcons play their next match against Terra Linda High School September 19th. This match matters for the Falcons to make the playoffs. 

“It should be good, We can’t take anyone lightly but we should take care of business there,” Hayden said.

Archie Williams senior, Maya Sanders, hits a winner in the first set of their match. (Devin Moss)