Archie Williams Football looks for first win against Santa Rosa

Archie Williams and Santa Rosa defensive line go head to head.
Maddie Alsterlind

Coming off the back of a bye week, the AWHS varsity football team faced off against Santa Rosa High School (SRHS) in a game under the lights. The game took place on Friday, September 8 at 7:00 PM. AWHS went into the game seeking their first win of the season.

The first quarter was a defensive battle with no team able to get on the board until SRHS broke through with a 2 yard rushing touchdown with under a minute left in the quarter to take a 7-0 lead. In the second quarter Santa Rosa extended their lead with an 18 yard passing touchdown that was helped by multiple missed tackles by the Falcons. The first half ended with AWHS down 13-0. The third quarter was more of the same with AWHS struggling to get anything to work offensively, and the deficit was only extended when SRHS hit a 27 yard field goal to take a 16-0 lead. The Falcons offense finally broke through with a 2 yard rushing touchdown by senior running back Kyle Fredrickson, and a successful two point conversion on a pass by senior quarterback Sam Black to senior wide receiver Tam McCauley. This made the game a one possession game as AWHS cut the deficit in half to 16-8. They were unable to put up any more offensive fight and lost the game 19-8 as SRHS kicked another field goal late in the fourth quarter. 

The Falcons face off against Concord High School on Thursday, September 14 still hoping to get their first win of the season.