Archie Williams track season ends at Meet of Champions

Senior+Luke+Calagari+rounds+the+first+curve+of+the+boys+800+meter+preliminary+race+as+he+looks+to+qualify+for+Saturdays+Finals+race.+

Willy Finley

Senior Luke Calagari rounds the first curve of the boys 800 meter preliminary race as he looks to qualify for Saturday’s Finals race.

Archie Williams’ track team traveled to Dublin High School Friday, May 19, to compete in the Meet of Champions (MOC) NCS Qualifiers. The meet on Friday were the preliminaries for the Saturday races, which would determine which competitors would compete for the CIF state championships in Fresno. 

Freshman Alyssa Silverstein kicked the meet off for the Falcons in the girls 1600 meter race. After an exhilarating performance at the Redwood Empire meet, she somewhat underperformed, finishing ninth place in her heat and 21 overall with a time of 5:31.33, missing out on a spot to compete in the MOC finals the following day. Sophomore William Mulliken ran soon after Silverstein in the boys 1600 meter race. Likewise, William did not repeat his record breaking performance at the Redwood Empire meet, and finished his race 11th in his heat and 24 overall with a time of 4:31.09.

Senior Andrew Cloughley jumps over the final hurdle of the boys 300 meter hurdles race. (Willy Finley)

In the boys 110 meter hurdles, senior Andrew Cloughley got 16th overall with a time of 16.35 seconds. He also competed in the 300M hurdles and got a time of 42.66 seconds and was 14 overall. To end off Andrew’s eventful day he competed in the triple jump and leaped 40-09.75 feet. Unfortunately, these results were not enough to qualify for  Saturday’s finals. 

Luke Calagari prepares his final kick in the last lap during the 800 meter race Friday May 19. (Willy Finley)

In the boys 800 meter race, senior Luke Calegari was unable to qualify for Saturday, ending up in 14th place with a time of 2:00.89.

Junior Alexandra Greenwald was the only AWHS athlete to qualify for the finals race on Saturday. She placed third in her preliminary heat which was enough to qualify, sneaking in as the last seed. In the championship race she placed 10th with a time of 2:21.67.

For the relay races the boys competed in the 4 by 400 meter relay, and the girls in the 4 by 800 meter race. The boys team of juniors Calvin Arnold, Lochlan McLean, John Minutoli, and sophomore William Finley placed 19th with a time of 3:36.47. The girls team of Alexandra, freshman Ani Stieg, Alyssa, and freshman Brooke Lee broke the AWHS school record with a time of 10:02.60 and placed 8 overall.

The Meet of Champions meet wrapped up the track season for the Falcons, and they will begin to train this summer as they prepare for next season.