Archie Williams Track and Field closes regular season with sunny-day showdowns

Luca Roy

Sophomore Finn Ketcham noses out in front of boys 100 meter JV hurdlers from Redwood and Tam.

A sunny April 20 marked the final Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) meet for the Archie Williams track and field team. Athletes from Redwood High School and Tamalpais High School poured onto the Bill Taylor track for the largest and most highly anticipated meet of the season. 

While Archie Williams ultimately lost to Redwood and Tamalpais, they held their own, winning numerous races and field events while simultaneously conserving energy for the Viking Classic Invitational on Saturday, April 22. The close rivalry between the Tamalpais District schools made for intense competitions between well matched athletes as a large crowd of Marin families watched eagerly. 

The Viking Classic Invitational at Montgomery High School came with another bluebird day as Archie Williams raced teams from Northern California on Saturday, April 22. While the heat was an obstacle to many, there were notable personal records. 

Sophomore Will Mulliken ran the 1600m in 4:26.87 and junior Calvin Arnold ran the 400 meter in 53.81, placing third in his Varsity heat. Freshman Ani Stieg competed in the girls 800 meter invitational heat and placed third with a personal best time of 2:23.81. 

Archie Williams runners will use the next two weeks to recover as they prepare for the MCAL finals race between all Tamalpais District schools as well as Marin Catholic, Branson, San Rafael, Terra Linda, Novato, and San Marin High Schools.