Homecoming spirit week brings candy-themed fun to AWHS

Henry Manning

Co- Senior class president Micah Sher and ASB Vice President Lucy Hinkleman enter the rally on bike.

The first week of October served up high-energy Falcon spirit with AWHS’ Homecoming Spirit Week. In preparation for the first Homecoming dance since the fall of 2019, ASB prepared a week of spirited dress-up opportunities and lunchtime activities, every day correlating with a specific candy. 

“With the last three years of school being so wildly different, I think just bringing back the little traditions is super important,” said history teacher and ASB advisor Taber Watson. “Anything that makes the school feel like a better, safer place, I’m all about it.”

AWHS students excitedly congregate on the football field for the 2022 Homecoming rally held on Friday Oct. 7. (Henry Manning)

Students began the week of Oct. 3 in true Monday fashion: PJs. Falcons flooded the candy-coated hallways adorned in pajama pants, slippers, onesies, and robes. Always a fan favorite, many students wore their coziest attire. 

During lunch, a spirited game of trivia took place in the Student Center, befitting the Smarties theme for the day. Candy-themed questions included, “What’s the most popular Halloween candy?” and “Which country eats more candy than the United States?.” Senior Angel Amador won the game, along with a free ticket to homecoming. 

Tuesday, Oct. 4, brought triple the fun. Students came to class in their three-way-matching outfits for Triplet Day, representing the Three Musketeers theme.    Coordinated trios volunteered for the three versus three basketball games in the gym during lunch, with seniors Kai Nissen, Jonathan Bear and Seamas Coghlan taking the win, along with the grand prize of free Homecoming tickets. 

The AWHS Cross Country Team performs a high energy routine at the Homecoming rally on Friday. (Maddie Alsterlind)

Wednesday was a shortened but exciting day for AWHS Falcons, who brought various backpack replacements for Laffy Taffy’s Anything but a Backpack day. 

“My favorite part [of spirit week] so far has been seeing everybody’s weird bags,” said freshman Alyssa Silverstein, who brought a bubblegum tote bag in place of her usual backpack. 

Students were enthusiastic and creative with their participation in this spirit day, utilizing coat hangers, stolen shopping baskets, and microwaves as backpack alternates.

Students sported their favorite jerseys for Thursday’s Big League Chew Jersey Day. From San Francisco Giants merchandise to homemade items, Falcons proudly wore the names and logos of many sports teams and players. At lunch the 2022 Powderpuff game took place, where the junior and senior girls battled during their flag football game. The junior girls sported homemade jerseys, and the seniors wore football jerseys from the AWHS football team. The senior defeated the juniors with a final score of 28-14.

Senior Demetri Spielman walks the hallways in a robe, pajama pants, and slippers for PJ day. (Maddie Alsterlind)

To finish out a week of candy inspired fun, Falcons dressed up in their finest beach wear for Beach Day Friday, representing LifeSavers. From bathsuits to floppy straw-hats, Friday was filled with tropical tones and anticipation for upcoming events, such as the Homecoming rally and the dance later that evening. During fourth period, students participated in the Homecoming rally with energetic performances from varsity sports teams and Dance Troupe, as well as a presentation from Peer Resource. 

Homecoming nominees were seniors Angel Amador, Aler Giffin, Carly Dengler, Maddie Barbee, Cole Courtwright, Jack Long, Sasha Yovino, Avery Chapman, Xoxa Bell and Kino Redfield. All nominees received cheers from the crowd, showcasing Falcon spirit as Homecoming week concluded.