New homecoming week events hope to include more students

+Spirit+themes+for+Homecoming+week+and+dance+on+the+chalkboard+outside+the+Student+Center.

Toby Gibbons

Spirit themes for Homecoming week and dance on the chalkboard outside the Student Center.

The annual homecoming dance is just around the corner, but this year there’s something different about the festivities. 

According to Associated Student Body (ASB) president Molly Soladay, this year there won’t be a Homecoming Parade with floats.

We, as [an ASB] class, decided that in the past years the participation in float building and the parade have gone down, so this year we really wanted to revamp homecoming and make sure we were having events that could include the whole school,” Soladay said.

Instead of the parade this year, there will be a pancake breakfast for all students the morning before the football game.

In addition, for the Homecoming Court, students will be encouraged to pick any two class representatives from each grade, regardless of gender.

This year we are going to have ‘Royals’ rather than ‘Kings/Queens’ to make it more gender neutral. We are going to let everyone vote on two people they think deserve to win a certain superlative rather than making it one guy or one girl,” said Soladay.

According to school principal Liz Seabury, there will also be a more efficient method of checking students into the gym. Students can get checked in by getting their ID cards scanned at the door.

We are not going to be selling tickets at the door because that is what led to the line being too slow,” Seabury said. 

With these changes to Homecoming week this year, students are bound to have a new experience.