Falcons girls volleyball slams Cardinals

Jack Evans

Varsity girls go into a team huddle to discuss their next move. The Falcon’s student section is pictured in the back.

On Thursday, Sept. 7, the Falcons’ varsity girls volleyball team took on Cardinal Newman High School (CNHS) in an intense home game. CNHS couldn’t keep up with the Falcons’ consistent kills, leaving the Falcons flying from the Cardinals unscathed, sweeping the game 3-0. 

The first set was well fought on both sides, keeping the game within a three-point difference. The Falcons’ defensive communication errors lead to CNHS advancing late in the set to a score of 19-21. The Falcons were not ready to lose the set, however, and bounced back to increase their score to 24, forcing the set into extra points. AWHS kept pushing back, winning the set 27-25. 

Senior Pheobe Galland  servers the ball to the opposing team after a point. (Jack Evans)

“In the first set we let our energy deplete, but then by the end we picked it up for the next two sets and finished strong,” said senior team captain Elsa Snipes. 

Junior Linsey Jones assists the ball for her Falcon Teamates

During the second set, AWHS took an early lead at 10-5. Senior libero Phoebe Galland dove deep with seven digs and junior Reese Frasier ended the game with 12 assists and four kills. The Falcons maintained a comfortable lead throughout, ending the second set at 25-15. 

During the third set, the Falcons took an early lead.  With the aid of strong offensive performances from Elsa and junior Lindsay Jones, the Falcons took the third set 25-16, adding another win to their 10-1 overall record.

“Everything ran really smoothly. We were off to a little bit of a rough start but then it all came together… First set we had some tough time passing and serving, second and third set we really dialed it in,” said Head Coach Lisa Hudson. 

The Falcons will kick off their first league game away on Wednesday, Sept. 15, against Tamalpais High School.  With the Tam Hawks boasting a 9-1 record, both teams hope to continue their dominant records going into the league opener.

“We are super hyped to play (Tamalpais). Really good competition, we’re just gonna go into it thinking about our game. We ain’t gonna worry about who’s on the other side of the net… We have a good game plan we are playing to execute and take the Dub,” Elsa said.

The Falcons girls varsity volleyball team hopes to continue their strong season.