JV Falcon football team anticipates bright future with undefeated and unscored-on record

Ellis Chamberlin

Sophomore Axl Yarbough picks up a fumble and runs for the end zone during the Salesian College Preparatory game on Aug. 28.

With fall sports well underway, the JV football team carries an undefeated record into their first Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) game against San Marin High School on Friday, Oct. 1. As well as holding the “undefeated” title, the team has yet to give up a point in any of their previous four games this season.

“Overall the team has played extremely well. We’ve been able to win games on both offense and defense so we are a well balanced team that has the capability to win in many different ways,” said AWHS JV football coach Rafael Alonso.

In three of the last four games, the team defeated their opponents by double digits. The team won 7-0 against Salesian College Preparatory on Aug. 28, 47-0 against Lowell on Sep. 4, 48-0 against American on Sep. 18, and 28-0 against Richmond on Sep. 24.

“We are still in the building block stages of our program and for our JV to be as successful as they have been and not have given up a point yet this season is really encouraging. The future of our program looks bright,” said AWHS varsity football coach Anthony Jackson.

According to Alonso, there are many leaders on the JV team. Some quietly lead by example and some are more vocal. Among the team’s leaders are the team captains, sophomore center and defensive tackle Axl Yarbrough, sophomore running back and linebacker Kyle Fredrickson, and sophomore kicker Nicholas Lillevand

“The team is super excited for this season and can’t wait to prove everyone wrong about the Archie Williams football program,” Kyle said. “The new coaching, especially defense, has really improved from other years,”

The team is super excited for this season and can’t wait to prove everyone wrong about the Archie Williams football program. The new coaching, especially defense, has really improved from other years,

— Kyle Fredrickson

However, the team’s  season has definitely not been without challenges. 

“I’d say the biggest challenge is keeping players healthy by finding the right balance between hard work and too much hard work. Football is a very physical game so you have to be physical enough in practice to prepare for an opponent but not so physical that the players can’t perform at their best on game day,” Alonso said. 

Alonso views each upcoming game as their toughest game. As such, he sees this Friday’s game against San Marin as the team’s toughest opponent. However, if one asks him what the toughest opponent will be next week, he would give a different answer.   

AWHS JV football team is looking to maintain their winning streak after playing against  San Marin this Friday. Sophomore quarterback Sam Black feels optimistic in this endeavor.  

“It is my first year with the team, but from what I’ve seen, all the rough moments our team has gone through really connects us and makes us family and that’s what separates our team from the others,” Sam said.