AWHS Girls Junior Varsity Volleyball loses to San Marin High School, hopes for future wins

Jackson Oliver-Roa

AWHS sophomore Kaila Service throwing the ball for a serve to San Marin High School.

On Wednesday, Sept. 22, the AWHS Girls Junior Varsity (JV) Volleyball team dropped 2 out of 3 sets against San Marin High School (SMHS). With final set scores of 25-18 for SMHS, 25-22 for AWHS, and 15-8 for SMHS, AWHS took a tough loss on their home court to drop their record to 1-1 in league play. 

The first set was action-packed. Through a series of serving and communication errors, SMHS was unreachable after being tied up at 15. 

“Our serving wasn’t good. We missed 8 serves in our first set, we missed 4 serves in the second and 4 in the third so if we were able to get it over our defense was good enough. In the end we just gave up too many points,” said AWHS JV Coach Greg Jones.

AWHS celebrates after great rally that ended in sophomore Avery Marne getting the kill

Jones believed that missing a total of 16 serves was the difference between winning and losing this game. Despite these missed opportunities, the AWHS girls were still able to keep the score close. 

“We did a really good job in the first set. Our energy was good, we had good hits and we were very focused,” said AWHS sophomore Charlotte Gerner.

On the physical side, Charlotte said the girls had good hits translating to points from the offense. Yet, she felt as if they gave up easy points on their serves. 

The JV team’s next game is against Terra Linda High School on Friday, Sept. 24. At this game, AWHS hopes to improve their league record to 2-1.

“We need to be more competitive like we were today but next time hopefully the outcome is a solid win,” Jones said.