High School 1327 announces plan to return to in-person learning on March 2

After enduring nearly ten months of fully-distant learning, the day has finally come when students will be allowed back on campus for school. On Tuesday, Feb. 23, High School 1327 (HS 1327) principal Liz Seabury sent out an email to students, parents, and staff with suggestions and plans to return to in-person instruction starting on Tuesday, Mar. 2.

According to an email sent out by Tamalpais Union High School District Superintendent Tara Taupier on Tuesday, Feb. 23, Marin County moved into the Red Tier for COVID-19 cases. Being in this less restrictive tier means that schools will now officially be allowed to reopen in the hybrid model on Mar. 2. 

During the week of Mar. 1, in-person instruction in the hybrid model at HS 1327 will begin. Each week, one of three cohorts of students will attend in-person school for two days, while the other two cohorts will attend for one day each. The Green cohort will go to campus on Tuesday, Grey will go on Wednesday and Thursday, and Glitter on Friday. The following week, the Green cohort will have two in-person days, and the following week the Glitter cohort will have two in-person days. 

On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday of next week, there will be a new break from 9:40am to 10:00am to allow students to pick up “welcome back” goodie bags assembled by parent volunteers. Thursday will not have an extended break, as it will be the Grey cohort’s second day on campus.

Seabury’s email also established campus procedures and COVID-19 safety precautions to ensure a smooth transition back to school. Some of these precautions include students arriving at school early to prevent congregation, leaving classroom doors open, having assigned seats, and learning about the new safety protocols through in-class presentations.

According to the email, students with free periods in the middle of their schedules must go to the library during their free period. There will also be a Chromebook Center near the Senior Tree where students can receive help with any technical difficulties pertaining to their Chromebooks. If a student needs to visit their counselor or the Wellness Center, they must email in advance to set up an appointment.

“As we continue to work through your thoughts, ideas and concerns, we will keep sharing,” Seabury concluded in her email.

Although in-person learning will not look as it did before COVID-19, HS 1327 staff members and volunteers hope to make the first week back as safe and welcoming as possible in the hybrid setting.