Spring sports looking strong for 2019

Colin Brown, Reporter

Volleyball:

The 2019 boys volleyball program hopes to have a great season. They have potential with returning players such as Burke Fraser, Darius Sadaat, Andy Rohosy, Gavin Dow, and Harrison Sears, who look to lead this season. “We have a lot of solid freshmen who are coming into the program,” said captain Sadaat. They also have a returning coaching staff consisting of head coach Hannah Stoner and assistant coach Tim Parnow, who are ready to get the season on the way. They have begun workouts for the 2019 season. “After a tough loss last year in the MCAL Championship game we have a lot of motivation to make it back to the championship game and win the title,” Parnow said.

Baseball:

The 2019 team has returning key players that they can rely on such as Gabe Leary, Eamonn Lance, Daniel Forrest, and Isaac Friedenberg. “This is going to be a fun season. We have a ton of potential and I know that we have the ability to do some major damage in MCAL and make a deep run in NCS,” captain Lance said. The baseball squad had a devastating loss in the NCS semifinal game and the MCAL championship game in 2018. “I believe that, with the leadership and talent that we have returning, we will be able to put up some big numbers this season,” said head coach Will Mosley. Mosley, with the help of assistant Kevin Hauschell, looks forward to another season together. “Our hitting is what we will be known for. We will hit the ball all over the yard. We have a very dangerous lineup from top to bottom.” Forrest said.

Track and Field: The track and field program has been very strong in the past years. The program has had success, going all the way to state last year. “It is going to be a great season. We have a lot of new talented girls, along with some solid returning leadership to make a deep JOLLY ROGERSPORTS22run into the postseason,” girls head coach Michael Clune said. Returning talent will help them repeat their success. Leaders include Gabe Reuter, Cooper McCarthy, Phoebe Blantz, Sophia Calegari, and Nicco Pompili. “With all these returning runners, I believe that we will make a deep run into NCS and repeat the success we had last year,” Mc-Carthy said. Not only is the track squad going to be successful, but the field team hopes to continue the success of the past.“After a solid last year, I am very excited to see the damage that we will do in league play. I think we have the talent to make a deep run into the postseason,” senior Ben Dal Porto said. Softball: The softball squad is looking solid for this upcoming season with six returning seniors consisting of Hailee Erastus, Maycee Mosley, Emily Finch, Bernice Longali, Alyssa Freed, and Gabrielle Slade. Not only do they have a handful of returning seniors, they also have returning head coach Paul Perryman. “With all of the returning seniors this year, we have a good balance of leadership and talent to be successful this year,” Perryman said.

Girls Lacrosse: The girl’s lacrosse team have many returning seniors this year such as Georgia Scott, Allie Korst, Annika Overra, Hayley Fredricks, Grace Bregenzer, Payton Alonzo, Mia Pengelly, Zoe Vavrek, and Jane Friedman. After a tough last season, things look promising for this squad since they have plenty of talent with Scott, Korst, and junior Tatum Bugas. “I really like the girls on this team this year. We have a really good group of girls and have a very good balance between young talent and leadership,” Scott said. Not only do they have a handful of returning players. They also have a returning head coach for the 2019 season, Lauren Yee. “I am looking forward to the 2019 season. I think with the returning players and leadership I think we have a good chance to be successful this season,” Yee said.