The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

Sports Scores
  • Apr 25 / Boys Varsity GolfArchie Williams High School - 244, Marin Catholic High School - 190
  • Apr 25 / Boys Varsity GolfArchie Williams High School - 244, Redwood High School - 188
  • Apr 24 / Boys Varsity VolleyballArchie Williams High School - 1, Tamalpais High School - 3
  • Apr 24 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 3, Lowell High School - 13
  • Apr 22 / Girls JV LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 7, Lowell High School - 1
  • Apr 22 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, Branson High School - 16
  • Apr 19 / Girls Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, Marin Catholic High School - 18
  • Apr 19 / Varsity BaseballArchie Williams High School - 9, San Rafael High School - 5
  • Apr 17 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, San Rafael High School - 18
The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

Peer Resource stitches together a free Prom Pop-Up shop

A+prom+clothing+rack+hangs+outside+the+Peer+Resource+classroom.+
Elsa Hunt
A prom clothing rack hangs outside the Peer Resource classroom.

During the week of April 15, Archie Williams’ Peer Resource (PR) will host the Prom Pop-Up shop in the library, where students can acquire free, gently used prom wear. Lasting for an hour and a half every day after school, the pop-up shop gives students the opportunity to browse, try on, and take home prom-related items.

Implemented last year, the Prom Pop-Up aims to foster an inclusive environment nearing the dance. PR member and senior Alicia Richard assisted with last year’s shop, along with this year’s, and believes it benefits the enjoyability of students’ prom experience. 

“[The shop ensures] that everyone has a fun prom and [gives] people that opportunity to have a fun time even if they can’t afford a certain item or just don’t have time to get it,” Alicia said. “It’s just a great way to shop for free.”

The pop-up process is simple: any student, regardless of financial status, is able to stop by the library during the shop’s hours, look through the options, and try items on. Dresses, tuxedos, shoes, new makeup, accessories, shirts, and bags will all be available in the shop, featuring a wide range of sizes, styles, and colors.

Despite being prom-oriented, Archie Williams’ pop-up shop is open to students of all grades, offering a variety of items intended for both the dance and everyday usage. 

PR encourages students to stop by the event, as they have a large inventory and believe that everyone deserves to enjoy their sustainable and cost-friendly shopping. However, students are expected to respect the shop’s primary intention of assisting students attending prom.

Community members interested in donating items to Archie Williams’ Prom Pop-Up did so by dropping options off at Longway in downtown San Anselmo or Room 302 on the Archie Williams campus. 

Though not every student will choose to attend prom or the pop-up, the donations give students the option to browse a variety of items. Alicia believes the shop’s donors allow students to personalize their prom experience and lessen the difficulty of finding a “perfect” item.

“Whether or not you decide to go [to prom,] it gives everyone the opportunity to pick out a free dress or suit or whatever [they] want to wear. Even if people don’t stop by or want to go to the thrift store instead, [it’s about] giving that option,” Alicia said.

In conjunction with Tamalpais High School and Redwood High School’s PR programs, Archie Williams’ PR has been collecting donations, organizing locations, and working diligently to ensure the shop’s success. Archie Williams PR teacher Jenny Brown believes the Prom Pop-Up is beneficial both financially and sustainability-wise.

“An obvious benefit [of the shops] is the money piece. Prom is just an expensive thing, from the tickets and transportation and everything. I feel like another big piece is sustainability, [because with the pop-ups], everyone’s not buying something brand new,” Brown said.

Through their Prom Pop-Ups, PR hopes to foster an inclusive, enjoyable environment at Archie Williams. Students and community members are encouraged to support this year’s event through donations and their attendance. The shop is open Monday through Friday during the week of April 15, located in the Archie Williams library.