Hall Middle School eighth grader Imogene Gilmartin lifts weights at The Anchor Method.
Olive Diamond

Women-based gyms in Marin County spark confidence in teenage girls

In the evolving landscape of fitness, women-focused gyms are rising in popularity. Beyond conventional fitness centers, these spaces offer women a unique sense of community, understanding, and support when working out.

According to Icon Refined, 87 percent of female respondents expressed a desire for more support and guidance from fitness professionals. Women-based gyms offer environments that prioritize the mental health and well-being of women while working out.

In 2022, Emily Switzer founded The Anchor Method in Kentfield, a gym that focuses on helping teen girls find a comfortable space to exercise. The Anchor Method provides workout classes for teens to build strength, stretch, and journal.

“I started The Anchor Method because… [when] growing up as a teen, I knew I needed a space where I could feel safe, strong, and confident,” Switzer said. “I wanted girls to feel confident with the exercises without stares or pressure to move out of a man’s way.”

Emily Switzer opened The Anchor Method in Kentfield in 2022. (Olive Diamond)

Classes offered at The Anchor Method provide teen girls with opportunities to grow in mind and body. Each day at The Anchor Method holds a new strength focus, beginning with warm-up activities and progressing to exercises that revolve around legs, core, and arms. After the group workout, Emily Switzer leads notebook journaling before the class ends with relaxing stretches and yoga. 

San Domenico School sophomore Matilda Hull, who began attending The Anchor Method in 2022, says exercise in a supportive environment has improved her mental health. 

“My favorite part of going to Anchor is how everyone supports each other and cheers each other on. It makes me feel appreciated and seen,” Matilda said. “Exercise removes anxiety about how my body looks, and encourages me to push harder and do my best [inside and outside of the gym].”

Hall Middle School eighth grader Piper Cifarelli enjoys working out at The Anchor Method. (Olive Diamond)

Archie Williams sophomore Georgia Kirk also finds that the supportive environment created at The Anchor Method has benefited her wellbeing. 

“Exercise helps me strengthen my mind and body. It helps [me] destress and relax. My favorite part of The Anchor Method is having a safe place to workout while meeting new people and connecting,” Georgia said. 

Women-based gyms allow for more woman-on-woman training, which provides physical and emotional support for women when working out. Ensuring a comfortable environment for women encourages young women to stay active. 

“My favorite part about going to [a women’s gym] is that I’m able to do whatever I want without feeling self-conscious, because I’m surrounded by other girls,” said Archie Williams senior Sarah Blanchard.

Hall Middle School student Annika Murray exercises at the Anchor Method. (Olive Diamond)

Another popular local women’s gym, Elan Health & Fitness Center, opened in San Anselmo in October of 1984. The family-owned gym helps women achieve their goals while providing a safe space to workout. Elan Health & Fitness Center owner LaRaye Houston values the community her gym has created. She emphasizes that while working out, it is important to ensure your physical health,but the mental health benefits are just as critical. 

According to the Center for Family Medicine, physical activity benefits mental health by releasing hormones such as endorphins and serotonin, which “naturally help improve mood, cognition, and concentration.” Endorphins also act as natural painkillers. Everyday quality of life can be improved by practicing regular exercise, according to the World Health Organization

“I do exercise for my mental health, to keep me feeling good about myself. [It] helps relieve stress and keeps my anxiety down,” Houston said.

Archie Williams senior Mary Solario joined Elan Health & Fitness Center in January 2023. She sees the benefit of focusing on an activity that benefits her body and mind.

“[Working out] helps me get my mind off of stress [from school],” Mary said. 

Both The Anchor Method and Elan Health & Fitness Center offer yoga classes and community-building exercises, along with standard gym services, which can be enjoyed by a widespread audience. As the fitness industry continues to evolve, the motivating communities provided at women-based gyms will be instrumental in encouraging women of all ages to enjoy staying active.