The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

Sports Scores
  • Apr 25 / Boys Varsity GolfArchie Williams High School - 244, Marin Catholic High School - 190
  • Apr 25 / Boys Varsity GolfArchie Williams High School - 244, Redwood High School - 188
  • Apr 24 / Boys Varsity VolleyballArchie Williams High School - 1, Tamalpais High School - 3
  • Apr 24 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 3, Lowell High School - 13
  • Apr 22 / Girls JV LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 7, Lowell High School - 1
  • Apr 22 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, Branson High School - 16
  • Apr 19 / Girls Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, Marin Catholic High School - 18
  • Apr 19 / Varsity BaseballArchie Williams High School - 9, San Rafael High School - 5
  • Apr 17 / Boys Varsity LacrosseArchie Williams High School - 2, San Rafael High School - 18
The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

Ariana Grande starts the 2024 year with a captivating new single

Ariana Grande poses up close to the camera in a blurry snapshot used as her new single’s cover. Promotional material courtesy of Imbd

After taking a long break from producing music, pop star Ariana Grande made her return to the music scene by dropping a fiery new single “yes, and?” Jan. 12. At 30 years old, Grande has made a name for herself in the music industry and many fans hold high hopes for the rest of her career. “Positions,” her sixth album released in 2020, was Grammy-nominated and quickly became a pop culture phenomenon with its track list full of  R&B and pop hits. 

Grande started working on new music back in Dec. 2023 after sharing a series of photos of her in a recording studio on her Instagram account, and after a long three years, she dropped her first single. The song “yes, and?” is the first track revealed off of Grande’s rumored seventh studio album and has caused a riot among fans for more Grande content. 

In 2021, Grande told the magazine Allure that she would be taking a break from creating music to focus more on “new versions of storytelling,” returning to the screen to focus on her acting career. Her return with “yes, and?” has listeners pausing to listen to the mesmerizing electronic rhythm. The single’s music video reached 3.9 million views in the first nine hours after its initial release.

Grande’s lyrical single “yes, and?” opens with upbeat electronic music and responds to critics cleverly and bubbly amid controversy surrounding Grandes dating life. The song has a nostalgic ‘80s feeling, which pays homage to artists like Madonna who ruled the top charts back in the day. Grande sings of empowerment with a carefree attitude that feels like a throwback to her previously released singles, “break up with your girlfriend” and “thank u, next.”  

The lyrics, “Now I’m so done with caring, what you think, no I won’t hide underneath your own projections or change my most authentic life,” reflect how fed up Grande is with the critics who comment on her lifestyle and life choices. In the song’s bridge, Grande sings in a softer breathy voice, “Don’t comment on my body, do not reply, your business is yours and mine is mine,” clapping back at those who have recently commented on her physical appearance and relationship status, reflecting her empowerment. 

This new single shines with relatable lyrics and an aesthetic ‘80s sound. Grande’s vocals are as infectious as ever as fans continue to respond positively to her newest release. Grandes new single earns a 4 out of 5 feathers. Welcome back, Ari; we missed you.