Falcons display their Halloween spirit at annual costume contest

Costume contest judges scramble to award high scores to a group of students dressed as characters from The Outsiders.
Luca Roy

On Tuesday, Oct. 31, Archie Williams students congregated in the Student Center at lunch to watch the Archie Williams annual Halloween Fashion Show. Contestants displayed their Halloween spirit on the runway as a lively audience and judges panel cheered them on.

Archie Williams senior Avery Chapman swims down the catwalk in her mermaid costume. (Luca Roy)

Throughout the show, students from all grades showed off their unique looks. Halloween music played for catwalkers as they impressed the panel of judges with costume-inspired dances and acting. The judges panel included ASB president and senior Charley O’Neil, sophomore class president Ellery Ford, senior class president Audrey Poster, and junior class president Jasper Cohen

Judges scored contestants on a 0-10 scale and used whiteboards and dry-erase markers to write and display the results. Popular judging categories included “energy,” “creativity,” and “costume execution.”

“I think watching people’s confidence [is the best part of the contest] because when everybody cheers for people, the more confident they are, the more people cheer,” Ellery said.

Audrey looked forward to seeing what costumes would be shown off on the runway. She saw this competition as an outlet for individuality and innovation.

“Archie has so many amazing, creative students, and I think these events are a great way to showcase everybody’s creativity,” Audrey said.

Freshman Trey Tobin took to the stage dressed as the Joker. (Luca Roy)

Freshman Trey Tobin, a fan-favorite contestant, dressed up as the Joker and thoroughly enjoyed his experience on stage. 

“It was exhilarating and exciting, and I would definitely do it again,” Trey said.

After the contest, the judges didn’t formally announce winners, but several costumes received high scores from the panel. The top three, in no particular order, were the Lorax, worn by senior Jack Gross, Trey as the Joker, and a group of upperclassmen boys as Greasers from the popular book-turned-movie, The Outsiders. The group included junior Ian Sharp and seniors Nello Marcucci, Daniel Silva, Luca Bartolomi, Carlton Engelhart, and Donovan Connelly

The judges congratulated all contestants for their creativity and courage. The contest proved successful among Archie Williams students, and Falcons look forward to next year’s show.