Spirit Week day three: Wii Sports

Junior Mari Rode scores game winning touchdown during the Power Puff football game on Wednesday.
Silas Eyler

On Wednesday, Oct. 18, Archie Williams celebrated the third spirit day this week, “Wii Sports Day.” Going along with the Homecoming video game theme, students showed up to school in their favorite sports jerseys. Jersey day also consisted of the annual Power Puff football game between the senior and junior girls. 

Sophomores Brian Wright and Joey Griffin represent their jerseys during PE. (Silas Eyler)

Students looked forward to showing off what their jersey meant to them.  Some students proudly displayed local teams, and others wore jerseys from professional teams as well. 

“I [wore] the Liverpool away kit, and it means a lot to me because my aunt got it for me for my birthday,” said Archie Williams junior Xavier Ayala.

At lunch, Wii Sports Day featured the annual Power Puff football game between the senior and junior girls. The intense game started with a touchdown catch from junior Mariana Rhodes for her team. Although the seniors usually beat the juniors in the Power Puff game, this game ended 7-0 favoring the juniors, a historic win. The seniors remained positive, as it was their last year participating in this game.

Archie Williams seniors watch Junior Rainey Preston run past senior Lydia Rivera’s attempted tackle. (Silas Eyler)

“[The Power Puff Game is] just fun. It lets us hangout with people that we wouldn’t normally hangout with, and it’s nice to have a moment with all the class of 2024 girls,” said senior Ameila Richer, quarterback for the senior team.

With two more spirit days ahead and Homecoming right around the corner, students gear up for the final celebration of the week, the Homecoming dance. 

Junior team coaches pose after winning annual Archie Williams Power Puff game. (Silas Eyler)