Assigned school parking spots set to make their debut this fall

Matthew Stranzl, Reporter

Assistant Principal Chad Stuart, working with staff and Student Senate, has decided to assign parking spaces for next school year.

“Staff members proposed the idea due to violations of their staff parking rights and the lack of campus assistants to monitor vehicle activity. We’ve had several students over the years frustrated by the lack of parking on campus,” he said.

In 2014 the student population was 900, according to Stuart. By next year it’s projected to jump to a record 1,200. This spike in attendance means an increase in cars occupying spaces, a source of gripes for faculty and students alike.

“Our school has grown a bit over the years and will continue to grow, so we don’t see parking as less of a problem. We felt it was a good time to make the changes,” Stuart said.

Working in tandem with the Student Senate, the administration has decided to rebuild the foundation of the permit system and assign students and staff dedicated spots. Members of the Student Senate proposed colorful decorations in the parking lot à la Novato High, but according to Stuart such decorations would be aesthetically displeasing to passersby.

“We decided to listen and rectify the situation. We brought it to Student Senate and got their feedback. They unanimously supported the idea for students to take ownership of the parking lot.” Stuart said
Special circumstances determine student eligibility to obtain a permit such as student employment, distance of home from the school, and those who carpool. One student generated idea under consideration is whether permitted upperclassmen should be given the opportunity to park in the rows closest to the gymnasium.

As is the case with any change, some students have problems with the idea. Sources of complaint cited by students include possible inconvenience.

“It’s unfair to kids who don’t have parking passes; they have to walk from far away every morning. It’s already a big issue right now, so I feel like it’s not the way to go,” junior Tommy Kenton said.

The Tam District strongly encourages students to find alternative modes of transportation, biking, bussing and walking are reasonable options. Other students feel frustrated by how the assigned spots might encourage further fossil fuel pollution.

“Pretty much everyone lives close enough to walk or bike. It’s better for the planet and for you. Drake’s culture around driving to school should change. Giving out spots to specific people will only fuel our obsession with parking in the front lot.” senior Lily Willis said.