The Addams Family hits school stage this month

Hannah Levenson, Editor-in-Chief

Since January, Drake Drama has been working behind the scenes on The Addams Family. This month, on March 23, The Addams Family will hit the stage.

Through and through, The Addams Family is a student-driven show. With student input, Directors David Smith and Jasper Thelin have been making sure that the show feels authentic.

For four days a week after school, actors have been memorizing musical numbers, lines, and choreography. With the help of Revolution 9 owner Huda al-Jamal and parents, the cast has been designing costumes and sets to bring the mysterious, yet hilarious, production to life.

Smith and Thelin were inspired to adapt The Addams Family after it was suggested by Abby Boglioli and Abby Floyd. From choreography to makeup to program design, students are in charge.

“Kids can do work that’s super relevant. It’s important because there’s so much student voice and different viewpoints that needs to be heard to make something great,” Smith said.

The Addams Family is a timeless classic with a refreshing new take. This version of the musical, with music and lyrics by Andrew Lippa and the book written by Marshall Brickman and Rick Elice, was adapted by the playwrights from the Broadway remake specifically for student actors. Two casts will perform.

Wednesday Addams (Dillan Ross Dungeon cast; Gianna Innocenti Crypt cast), who comes from an eccentric, macabre family falls in love with Lucas Beineke, (Nick Reulbach dungeon cast, Julian Becker crypt cast) who has more traditional roots. The musical documents the clashing dynamics of the two families.  

Beneath the ghoulish demeanor, The Addams Family is a relatable show teeming with wit and humor, all while emanating values that align with those of students and the school’s drama program. Unlike the original version, Wednesday is 18 years old rather than 11 years old, making the show more relatable for students.

“It’s about weirdness and acceptance of strange things. It’s about accepting differences between cliques. It’s life-affirming togetherness,” Thelin said.

The Addams Family will open on Friday, March 23 at 7 p.m.. Subsequent performances will be on March 24 at 2 and 7 p.m.; Friday, March 30 at 7 p.m.; and Saturday, March 31 at 2 and 7 p.m..

“Come more than once, so you can see both casts. That way, you can see two different interpretations of the characters,” actor Nick Reulbach said.

Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for seniors and students, and $3 for students without ASB. Tickets are not available to preorder. Doors will open half an hour before the show.

“There’s something amazing about live theater that you can’t get any other way. You never know what’s going to happen, which is great. It’s real,” Smith said.