Angst film addresses anxiety’s impact

Noel Rockwell, Feature Editor

Anxiety, it’s the most common mental health disorder in the United States. Despite this, it continues to be neglected and seen as a minor problem.

The film Angst is a 56 minute documentary that explores anxiety, and all that comes with it. With feature appearances from Drake students, audiences learn about anxiety through a deep and more relatable

context.

Producer Karin Gornick’s main influence in creating this film comes from her personal experience.

“I am a filmmaker, it’s my career, but I am also a mom. Over the past year and a half my 16 year old son has been struggling with an anxiety disorder. At the time, we didn’t know what it was. I just knew he was isolating himself and I really want sure what was going on.

I do not want anyone to have to go through what we did, so my intention was to really create a film that discusses what anxiety is and presents resources for audiences watching,” said Gornick.

For most people, experiencing some form of anxiety is something that everyone can all relate to. However, there continues to be a misunderstanding of what it is, and how to treat it. Angst directly confronts this issue, and overall broadens viewer’s understanding of the matter.

“The messages explored and talked about in the film really come down to what anxiety is, what it looks like, what is scientifically happening in our bodies, how we can support others, and most importantly how we can support ourselves.” Gornick said.

The film specifically incorporates teenagers battling anxiety and the various resources and strategies used in getting help. It also includes discussions with mental health experts and therapists.

The evidence presented throughout the documentary effectively reiterates the clear purpose of the film.

“My goal is really that every single person that watches is able to find something that resonates with them, whether that be regarding something in their personal lives, or with someone close to them,” said Gornick.

Finding something that resonates is easily attainable, considering much of the film’s footage took place here. Additionally, fellow students were interviewed about their own personal anxiety, allowing viewers to understand the point Gornick continues to make, “Anxiety does not discriminate.” Gornick said.

The film launched on Sept. 25, and has been screened around the world. The producers are in contact with other schools within our district, looking to host screenings.

With more teenagers experiencing anxiety than ever before, Angst will be shown in most classes here. Students here Will also be in collaboration with the producers, helping create a curriculum that goes along with the film.

For teens looking for immediate help and relief surrounding anxiety, Gornick advises teens to start simply.

“I encourage people to talk to others that they trust, whether that’s an adult or anyone that might be willing to help them. I would also encourage people to go to angstmovie.com, and right away you can not only find tips to help with anxiety but local resources that can be long term or immediate,” Gornick said.

For more information on Angst, go to Angstmovie.com.