SnowGlobe Music Festival boasts impressive lineup

Nina Schmidt, Editor-in-Chief

Standing for hours in the freezing cold after dark in the middle of winter isn’t for everyone. However, some students are willing to brave the cold to see their favorite artists at SnowGlobe Music Festival at Lake Tahoe Community College Dec. 29 to 31.

This year, the main attractions are Dillon Francis, Porter Robinson, Travis Scott, and Zedd. Senior Claire Castrejon is a big fan of headliner Zedd.

“I saw Zedd at Outside Lands and they were really good and so fun. Probably one of the best performances I’ve seen.” Castrejon said, “There was so much energy and they had a really good set. There wasn’t a lot of dancing but there was a ton of lights and smoke and confetti.”

Another popular performer is MTV Video Music Award for Best New Artist recipient Khalid. Full name Khalid Legend Robinson debuted his first album in March 2017 which went gold three months after it dropped. According to Castrejon, Khalid is a fan favorite because his music is chill and relatable.

Quinn XCII is also a popular artist. The “Another Day in Paradise” singer’s album The Story Of Us reached #25 on the Billboard R&B chart. Electronic music duo Snakehips is also sure to attract an audience. Their single “All My Friends” hit number one on the Billboard 200 chart.

An advantage of attending SnowGlobe is that it is held at a much smaller venue than festivals like Outside Lands and Austin City Limits. The former had an attendance of about 60,000 per day according to the festival’s website. The latter hosted about 75,000 attendees per day according to the Austin Business Journal. SnowGlobe expects only 15,000 attendees in total.

The majority of the festival is outside but there are many heated indoor areas. According to the festival’s website, two out of the three main stages are completely contained and get very warm during performances.

Food is also offered by many different vendors inside the venue. A complete list of those catering the festival will become available nearer to the date of the event.

SnowGlobe is also far more affordable than most festivals. Tickets are sold for about $240 including fees for regular three day General Admission. While this might seem steep, Outside Lands tickets regularly cost upwards of $400.

For those who don’t have $240 on hand, the festival offers a payment plan that can span 3 or 6 months.

SnowGlobe Music Festival might not initially seem as sure of a good time as other festivals but the 2017 lineup is sure to please. The popular artists almost matches that of this year’s Outside Lands lineup for a much cheaper price. Not to mention that attendees get to be at a concert on New Year’s Eve, an experience that is sure to balance out the cold weather.