The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

ZAYN’s new album, Room Under The Stairs, portrays newfound love

ZAYNs Album cover for his new album, Room Under the Stairs, features a figure of his face with images inside the silhouette.
Promotional material courtesy of Rolling Stone
ZAYN’s Album cover for his new album, Room Under the Stairs, features a figure of his face with images inside the silhouette.

On Friday, May 17, award-winning music artist ZAYN released his new album, Room Under The Stairs. The album consists of 15 soulful songs that collectively showcase ZAYN’s dreamy vocals. In Room Under The Stairs, ZAYN shares all of the feelings that come with new romantic relationships, designing an album based on love. 

After auditioning for British music competition TV show, The X Factor, ZAYN became a member of 5-person boy band, One Direction, which rose to become one of the best-selling boy bands of all time. After breaking up in 2015, each of the band members went off in different musical directions, with ZAYN releasing seven albums and winning numerous awards since then.

The first track of Room Under The Stairs, “Dreamin,” opens with an electric acoustic guitar, setting an intriguing tone for the album. The lyrics, “Please don’t let me forget fallin’ in love,” express how ZAYN wants love to be lively and exciting.“Dreamin” is very playful, leaving listeners feeling good while expressing ZAYN’s powerful emotions. 

The third track, “Grateful,” begins with soft piano and violin in the background. Shortly after the classical intro, ZAYN’s vocals come in. The lyrics mirror feelings about being deeply grateful for a significant other. This soothing song contains soul while describing true love. 

The eleventh track, “The Time,” incorporates a slow rhythm and peaceful acoustic guitar while ZAYN sings about finding the right person, with the lyrics, “See all I need is you.” He describes the emotions brought about by falling in love and the memories you build with your significant other. ZAYN’s soothing voice and lyrical prose instantly grants listeners feelings of happiness and love. 

The 13th track, “Something In the Water,” has a jazzy ambience, as ZAYN sings about the different emotions brought about by love. “Caught a glimpse of your gaze, I was frozen,” he sings, expressing his feeling when he sees the person that he likes. This song has a very uplifting mood and gives the audience a positive vibe.

Room Under The Stairs, a mellow and heartfelt album, gives moving depictions of love and loss as ZAYN sings about falling for someone. With his shining vocals and acoustic guitar backgrounds, Room Under The Stairs sets a positive tone for summer, earning it three and a half out of five feathers.