Happy Birthday, Archie Williams: how the Bay Area celebrates his legacy

Archie Williams, born May 1, 1915, was an Olympic runner, U.S. Air Force Officer, and teacher.
Courtesy of U.S. Air Force

Born May 1, 1915, Archie Williams was an accomplished Olympian, engineer, U.S. Air Force Officer, pilot, and teacher. Since his passing in 1993, the Bay Area has honored his legacy and memorialized him in the community. Williams has become a namesake to places where he made an impact, namely Archie Williams High School and Archie the UC Berkeley Falcon.

Williams grew up in Oakland and lived in the Bay Area for most of his life. He studied mechanical engineering and ran track at UC Berkeley, setting a world record for the 400-meter race during his time there. At the 1936 Berlin Olympics, Williams represented the United States and won the gold medal in the 400-meter race.

After graduating from UC Berkeley, Williams earned his pilot’s license and became a civilian flying instructor at the Tuskegee Army Flying School in Tuskegee, Alabama. He enlisted in the Air Force and fought in World War II and the Korean War, eventually retiring as Lieutenant Colonel. 

For the final leg of his career, Williams taught at then Sir Francis Drake High School for 21 years, which was later renamed after him as a tribute. While working at Sir Francis Drake, he taught math and computer science and coached the track team. Melissa Prandi, a former student of Williams, remembers him as kind and helpful. 

“[Williams was] always smiling. He joked with the students a lot and found ways to teach us that were not always the basic traditional ways. He would make a joke and show us a way to remember,” Prandi said. “I can totally picture him leaning over showing students exactly how to come to the correct answer; he always made you feel special.”

Meet Archie, UC Berkeley’s newest addition to their falcon family named after Archie Williams. (Courtesy of Berkeley News)

Williams touched more than just the lives of his students. After attending UC Berkeley and becoming the first African American to run for student council at the university, his memory lives on the campus. On Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2024, UC Berkeley launched a contest to name the newest mate of Annie, a peregrine falcon and long-time resident of the campus’ Campanile Bell Tower. The contest spanned four days, and voters participated globally, voicing their opinions on the new falcon’s name. After over 2,000 votes were cast, the school named the falcon “Archie” as a tribute to the late Archie Williams.

The UC Berkeley Falcons’ names often pay homage to important individuals in the school’s history, hence Williams’ inclusion on the ballot. Other candidates included UC supervising architect John Galen Howard, UC alumna and architect Julia Micheals, and the first state forester in the U.S., Walter Mulford. 

For many voters, honoring a former UC Berkeley student was an important aspect of this naming contest. UC Berkeley student Kim Houghton partially attributes “Archie”’s win to Williams’ athletic connection with the bird.

“Peregrine falcons are known for their speed, and UC Berkeley has a proud athletic tradition, so I think it was only a matter of time before one of our falcons was named to honor one of our great athletes,” Houghton said. “Archie Williams was an Olympic gold medalist, a pilot and flight instructor, an athlete, and a graduate of UC Berkeley. So Archie is a perfect name for a Cal [UC Berkeley] falcon.”

The community has supported these recognitions of Williams, showing his impact and the inspiration he left behind. On his 109th birthday, he is at the forefront of community members’ minds and will continue to be memorialized in his former hometown.

“Knowing how humble Archie was, he would not have ever expected this or even wanted it, but of course, he would have been proud,” Prandi said.