The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

SEA-DISC inspires eco-consciousness with its annual Earth Day celebration

Riley Liebman
Students paint flower pots for an eco-activity at SEA-DISC’s Earth Day celebration.

On Tuesday, April 23, Archie Williams’ SEA-DISC Academy held an Earth Day celebration in the main quad during lunch. The event educated Archie Williams students and staff on environmental issues and promoted climate-friendly actions through student and local organization-run booths. 

At the event, SEA-DISC students operated several tables, including stations dedicated to tie-dye, pot decorating, and bike-powered smoothie-making. Students also led a clothing swap and Peer Resource hosted a prom pop-up shop to encourage environmentally friendly fashion. 

SEA-DISC students run educational booths on environmental issues to enrich Archie Williams students and staff. (Emma McFerron)

The celebration included a live concert from an Archie Williams Performance Workshop band featuring senior Casey Sorensen and juniors Elliot Garneau, Eli Galland, Zeke Cunningham, and Noah Casey.

Local environmental organizations such as Marin Conservation League, 350 Marin, and Reptile Rescue hosted booths to educate students on how to live more sustainably and combat climate change. Reptile Rescue brought snakes, lizards, and other reptiles to engage the Archie community with wildlife. These efforts aimed to create a unique, interactive opportunity for Archie Williams students and staff to learn about the importance of combating environmental issues. 

“I really enjoyed the Earth Day celebration. Participating in all the fun activities helped me learn more about the Earth and how to reduce my carbon footprint to care for our planet,” said sophomore Elsa Wahlstrom.

In preparation for the event, SEA-DISC students and faculty planned activities and coordinated with local organizations. Senior Loretta Hovey, a SEA-DISC student, helped organize the event and believes the planning process helped the class community come together.

“The preparation for this event was super fun and a great academy bonding opportunity. We all made posters and donated clothes so that people could have a great Earth Day,” Loretta said.

Sophomores Sophia Lopez and Amara Lee-Watson hold a snake from the Reptile Rescue organization at the Earth Day event. (Riley Liebman)

Through their projects, SEA-DISC teachers and students aim to bring environmental awareness onto the Archie campus throughout the school year. This Earth Day celebration enabled SEA-DISC students to share their projects at individual booths in a fun, interactive, and educational way such as quizzes on plastic pollution and trivia questions with prizes.  

An Archie Williams student holds a six-month-old snake from the Reptile Rescue organization at SEA-DISC’s Earth Day event. (Riley Liebman)

SEA-DISC teacher Clarke Bugbee believes educating communities about the planet can help encourage students to become more eco-conscious.

“What’s important to remember is that we play a role in the environment. There’s so much we can do better to honor the planet and share our knowledge with others who might not know how they can help on a daily basis or even on a larger scale,” Bugbee said.

SEA-DISC’s Earth Day celebration highlighted the importance of taking care of Earth and taking action to ensure its livelihood. This event reminded Archie Williams students and staff of the sustainable and renewable efforts they can make that will protect and improve the environment.

“Every day should be Earth Day, and I hope this event makes everyone love to celebrate Earth and find a way to take action toward sustainability and a better climate,” Loretta said.

The Marin Conservation League, a local environmental protection organization, runs a booth at SEA-DISC’s Earth Day celebration. (Emma McFerron)