Categories:

The removal of science from SLCs prompts mixed reactions

SLC Teacher Clarke Bugbee teaches a SEA-DISC AP Environmental Science class.
Juliet Stucky

As of the beginning of the Archie Williams 2024-2025 school year, science is no longer included in the Small Learning Community (SLC) system. This has altered returning sophomores’ schedules, with many students receiving new science teachers, and some being displaced into entirely different SLCs.  Due to complications, this change has prompted mixed reactions from both students and staff. 

Since 2020, the SLC system has included groups of freshmen and sophomore students who share English, history, and science classes. This year, the removal of science has distributed returning sophomores among the different science teachers. 

Given that SLCs have recently included a three-class system, students have mixed feelings about the adjustment. Sophomore Cole Taplin’s schedule placed him in a new science class, which he appreciates as it gives him the opportunity to have class with different peers.  

“I think that science leaving the SLCs is good because I did not like being with the same people for most of the day. Being with a different group of kids is good because I get to see more people during the day,” Cole said.

Sophomore Sam Singer also has a new science class this semester, with different students and a new science teacher. However, Sam feels more apprehensive about the change because she enjoyed the three-class system. 

“I liked having a bigger group of three classes because we got to change into different groups with more people, but I do like being able to interact with different teachers outside of what would have been my SLC,” Sam said. 

Former SLC science teacher Amy Thwaite thinks the new SLC change is suboptimal for students. Thwaite believes the SLC system was created to bring students together, and this update conflicts with its initial purpose.

“Personally I would have liked to see some other solutions try to play out… but the process of changing the whole SLC format is not a closed door. [A change] as big as that in a school will be reviewed to see if it was the right choice, and most staff members were asking, ‘What’s best for all students?’” Thwaite said. 

Following this change, administrators will continue to track the SLC system’s evolution and adjustment. The science class removal may affect the SLC system’s future, as reactions to this change will impact the way the Archie Williams administration forms the class groupings. Students can expect the following months to be a learning process, as sophomores adjust to this reshaping.