Categories:

TUHSD implements new e-bike registration and required parking permits

Archie Williams students line up their electric bikes on the bike racks during school hours.
Juliet Stucky

As the school year begins, Tamalpias Union High School District (TUHSD) administrators are wasting no time implementing a district-wide e-bike parking permit mandate, as well as a ban on e-bike classes three and above. As of this fall, students who plan on parking their e-bikes on campus must obtain an office-issued permit or will lose access to their vehicle. 

TUHSD administration believes this update will help ensure student safety, as well as monitor e-bikes’ whereabouts if they were to go missing. Additionally, these changes will help schools keep tabs on the vehicles entering campuses.

In the weeks leading up to the R1 close, TUHSD students will be asked to identify their e-bike classification, submit a picture, and register by answering a few basic bike-related questions. The final mandatory step of receiving a permit sticker is the completion of a free online e-bike safety course.

If students refrain from adhering to these policies, fail to register their e-bikes, or continue to bring illegal vehicles to school, the administration will lock bikes on campus. Locked e-bikes will be inaccessible to students until owners visit the front office to obtain their parking passes.

Sophomore Olive Diamond feels that the time-consuming factor of registering for a permit sticker may discourage people from riding their e-bikes to school.

“I think [going through the permit process] could make people not want to bike to school, because it’s a long process, and everyone’s [already] trying to get their driver’s license and [driver’s] permit,” Olive said.

In addition to the parking permit mandate, e-bikes that are registered as class three or above, as well as any bike with a top assisted speed of above 28 mph, are no longer allowed to park on any TUHSD campus.

Archie Williams Dean of Student Success Alan Nealley believes that the e-bike permits and restrictions will only benefit the community, considering how class three e-bikes can be classified as high-powered motorcycles.

“Some kids are riding [class three] bikes that are technically electric motorcycles, and we’re trying to get a handle on it so we can figure out how to keep everyone safe,” Nealley said.

Sophomore Ireland Murphy believes class three bikes shouldn’t be banned, finding it unfair that even those who bike responsibly are impacted. According to Ireland, her biking speed rarely reaches high speeds thanks to her usage of the bike’s throttle mechanism which keeps it at a slower pace. 

“My bike does look like a motorcycle, but I only use throttle, which only goes about 20 miles per hour… I spent a lot of money on [my bike], and at the time I got it, I thought that it was gonna be completely street legal, and I wasn’t going to have to face this,” Ireland said. “I think it’s going to affect a lot of people in a lot of ways.” 

For students like Ireland who rely on their e-bikes to transport them to school, the ban creates a considerable obstacle in getting to class. Ireland believes the banning of class three bikes may cause her tardiness and severely inconvenience others with the vehicle. 

“It’s going to make me pretty sad not to ride my bike to school and [the ban will] affect my attendance and grades,” Ireland said.

E-bike registered students can expect to receive their stickers sometime this upcoming week, as the administration intends to have every e-bike accounted for by the end of R1.

As e-bike users grapple with the new restrictions, TUHSD administrators highly recommend students register their vehicles in order to keep campuses safer, organize traffic, and ensure students maintain possession of their property.