Categories:

Top ten nostalgic 2000s movies for a blast from the past

Promotional material courtesy of the Movie Database

If you’re in the mood for a walk down memory lane, look no further than a classic 2000s movie. The 2000’s best movies range in genre, with movies such as Juno which cater towards audiences who appreciate a well-written script, and Mean Girls, a movie for audiences who are here for the drama (and the Halloween montages). This era of movies continues to be a source of nostalgia, humor, and a refreshing take on pop culture. Here is a list of our top ten early 2000s movies to watch at sleepovers, on holidays, with family, or with friends.

Courtesy of IMDB

#10 Garden State (2004)

Garden State, released in 2004 and written and directed by Zach Braff, follows a neurotic and introverted young man, Andrew Largemans (Zach Braff), as he returns to his hometown in New Jersey for his mother’s funeral. While back at home, he meets the elusive Sam (Natalie Portman), and his life takes a gratifying turn for the better. The soundtrack of Garden State alone makes this movie worth watching, featuring a compilation of now-iconic 2000s indie music. Paired with the charismatic acting of young Natalie Portman and Zach Braff, this movie is nothing short of perfection.

Promotional material courtesy of IMDB 

#9 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

2004’s Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, directed by Michael Gandry, is well known for its unique plotline and indie-focused melancholy tone. After going through a difficult breakup, Clementine (Kate Winslet) decides to undergo a scientific experiment and wipe her ex-boyfriend Joel (Jim Carrey) from her memory. After catching wind of Clementine’s procedure, Joel decides to do the same, but the two quickly find out that wiping away sad memories doesn’t solve the problem they thought it would. Full of character and bound to leave your heart aching, this is the perfect 2000s rainy-day movie for indie movie fans to enjoy.

Courtesy of Rolling Stone

#8 Mr. and Mrs. Smith (2005)

Mr. and Mrs. Smith, released in 2005 and directed by Doug Liman, follows a suburban married couple who find a unique way to reignite their relationship. Both Jane (Angelina Jolie) and John Smith (Brad Pitt) work secretly as assassins, and so far throughout their (is it five or six?) year marriage they have been able to hide their true careers from each other. However, after being ordered to assassinate each other, the Smiths’ seemingly boring lives become quite the adventure. Full of outrageous twists and turns, Mr. and Mrs. Smith is a go-to action-romance movie for when you want to experience an adventure from the comfort of your couch.

Courtesy of the Oklahoma City of Art

#7 The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

Directed by Wes Anderson and released in 2001, The Royal Tenenbaums is full of playful whimsy and meaningful character arcs sure to inspire viewers. The film flaunts a perfectly set cast with actors that reoccurringly have portrayed characters in previous Wes Anderson films. The Royal Tenenbaums also features a script that is an art form in itself, written by Anderson and Owen Wilson. The movie revolves around the dysfunctional yet relatable Tenenbaum family. The Tenenbaum children’s father left them at a young age, but when they grow up to be successful, their father, Royal Tenenbaum (Gene Hackman), returns, claiming he has stomach cancer in order to get back into his family’s good graces. Under the same roof once again, the now-adult family clashes, but even as conflict rises, the family grows closer. This dynamic 2000s film captures the attention of viewers through Anderson’s classic cinematic direction style and the idyllically portrayed acting of this timeless ensemble cast. 

Courtesy of IMDB

#6 Jennifer’s Body (2009)

Directed by Karyn Kusama, this lively horror movie is full of early 2000s excellence. Jennifer’s Body follows the friendship of Jennifer Check (Megan Fox) and Anita “Needy” Lesnicki (Amanada Seyfried) in a small town, Devil’s Kettle, just outside of Minnesota. When Jennifer is possessed by a demon after a boy band ritual gone wrong, she sets out to “prey” on the boys at her high school. When Needy finds out about Jennifer’s dark side, she does everything she can to protect her community and her boyfriend from Jennifer’s evil killing spree. From the Y2K inspired outfits to the gaudy dialogue written by the same writer as Juno, Jennifer’s Body is a fabulous watch for fans of horror and comedy movies.

Promotional material courtesy of Rotten Tomatoes

#5 She’s the Man (2006)

2006’s She’s the Man, directed by Andy Fickman, is loosely based off of William Shakespeare’s play, Twelfth Night. The movie’s plot revolves around Viola Hastings (Amanda Bynes), who is working to accomplish her dream of becoming a college-level soccer player. However, when Viola’s high school cuts the girl’s soccer team due to a lack of funding, she is forced to get creative to reach her goals. Viola takes the place of her brother, Sebastian (James Kirk), at his new high school so she can join the school’s soccer team while he chases his dreams of becoming a rockstar in London. Packed in between hilarious one liners, She’s the Man is full of playful commentary on gender dynamics that is sure to capture viewers’ attention. 

Courtesy of Entertainment Weekly

#4 Legally Blonde (2001)

Released in 2001 and directed by Robert Luketic, Legally Blonde quickly rose to cult classic status. After sorority girl Elle Woods (Reese Witherspoon) is dumped by her boyfriend Warner (Matthew Davis), she decides to win him back by attending Harvard Law School (What, like it’s hard?). As Elle crushes court cases and stereotypes, she realizes she has what it takes to accomplish even more than she thought. Between the pink-forward fashion choices and the sass-filled dialogue, Legally Blonde is the ideal 2000s-inspired feel good movie.

Courtesy of Plugged In

#3 Bring It On (2000)

2000’s Bring It On, directed by Peyton Reed, is arguably where cheerleading tropes all started. Torrance Shipman (Kirsten Dunst) is elected team captain of Rancho Carne High School’s cheerleading squad and plans on leading her team to their sixth consecutive national championship win. However, her plans quickly take a turn for the worse after the cheerleading team discovers that their previous team captain based all of their routines off of another school’s. As Torrance and the rest of her squad gear up for nationals, they have to find the time and the courage to plan out a new routine good enough to win the championships. Full of high-stakes competition and rivalry, Bring It On is the perfect movie to watch with a group of friends. 

#2 Mean Girls (2004)

Mean Girls, directed by Mark Waters, has long reigned as the best sleepover movie since its initial release in 2004, and nothing yet has been anywhere near to taking its crown. Starring Lindsay Lohan, whose acting performance is truly so fetch, as the awkward new girl, Cady Heron, the film takes the new girl at school trope to the next level. Previously homeschooled, Cady becomes friends with North Shore High School’s supreme it girl group, The Plastics. After Cady develops a crush on queen bee Regina George’s (Rachel McAdams) ex boyfriend Aaron Samuels (Jonathen Bennett), she quickly learns the damaging effects of belonging to a toxic high school clique. Filled with truly iconic scenes, this is one of the best high school set movies to make it to the screen since John Hughes’ The Breakfast Club (1985). An early 2000s masterpiece at its core, true fans know Mean Girls isn’t just a movie, it’s a lifestyle. 

#1 Juno (2007)

Released in 2007 and directed by Jeison Reitman, Juno is a must-watch seasonal movie chock-full of witty humor and all too relatable dialogue. This timeless coming of age classic follows the storyline of the main character Juno MacGuff (Elliot Page) after she discovers that she is pregnant with her friend Paulie Bleeker’s (Michael Cera) baby. With the support of her friend Leah (Olivia Thirlby) and her father and stepmother, Juno chooses adoption, finding the seemingly perfect adoptive parents in her local newspaper. Complemented by an iconic indie-folk soundtrack mirroring that of a mixtape you’d make for a best friend, Juno is the perfect funky and heart-warming movie to watch alone or with friends.