The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

The pinnacle of Falcon journalism

The Pitch

A look at the complexities of college applications and tuition

Henry Manning
The College and Career Center at Archie Williams helps students navigate college applications and plans for life after high school.

For many American students, attending an institution of higher education after high school can seem financially out of reach. According to a 2023 survey conducted by The Common App, 54 percent of college applicants nationwide are in the upper 20 percent of the income range quintile of ZIP codes nationwide, while only seven percent of applicants are in the bottom 20 percent of the income range quintile. Tuition costs plague Archie Williams students despite their residence in one of the wealthiest counties in the United States.  

College tuition in private institutions has risen by 40 percent in the past twenty years, with California State University (CSU) schools planning to increase their tuition every year by six percent until 2027.

According to the CSU’s Chico State University, “The CSU [system] requires additional resources to continue to provide its students with an accessible, high-quality education that prepares its graduates for success in California’s fast-evolving workforce.”

While the increasing tuition rates create a correlation between student’s income levels and access to education, scholarships give opportunities to those in need of financial aid. Archie Williams College & Career Specialist Lisa Neumaier spends extensive time exposing students to the opportunities that Archie Williams provides regarding financial assistance.

“It’s imperative that students apply for financial aid and scholarships… We also host an annual Financial Aid Night for senior families and parents of any grade level… Students should work with me and/or our College Access Fellow from 10,000 Degrees, Julisa Gonzalez, for all financial aid/scholarship questions,” Neumaier said.

According to the Common App survey, Underrepresented Minority applications have increased by 31 percent since 2021 despite tuition increases. Neumaier says that colleges and universities incorporate Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity initiatives into a needs-based financial aid system.

“Colleges are trying their best to be affordable for all families and always want a diverse student body. Many of the scholarships that I list on Naviance [for Archie Williams students] are need-based, so I encourage students to stay on top of this process of researching scholarships and applying for all that they are eligible for,” Neumaier said.

Some students who get accepted into private institutions choose not to attend due to the high tuition rates, even after scholarship opportunities. These students may opt to attend a public institution rather than a private one based on affordability. Archie Williams senior Anders Jacobs-Frithiof describes how tuition affected his college decision.

“Tuition and [living] costs affected my college choice, especially because I have two brothers who are going to four-year universities, which puts a big burden on my family. My top choice school that I really wanted to go to ended up costing way too much for my family even after getting 25,000 dollars from merit scholarship and financial aid per year,” Anders said. 

Along with academics, some students choose to participate in college-level sports, which can yield financial benefits. Archie Williams senior Alex Makenzie, a state champion wrestler, plans to continue wrestling at Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

“I made my college decision based on how much money the school gave me. Worcester gave me a pretty good financial benefit, which my parents agreed to, so now I’m committed there to study and wrestle,” Alex said.

According to a survey by the Common App survey, college applications have increased by 30 percent from 2019-2021. Most colleges are for-profit organizations, meaning that rather than primarily relying on government funding like most public schools, they rely on tuition from students for funding. The new, easier application process, a main contributor to the rising number of applicants, can be attributed to the changes in policy during COVID-19. 

“Because of COVID rendering test scores from exams such as the SAT and ACT useless in the application process, a lot of students who would have otherwise been discouraged from applying to more schools are now able to apply based off of the rim GPA,” Alex said. “A lot of schools are utilizing the Common App these days, making it easier for people to apply to more schools.”

With such an increase in demand, colleges raise their tuition costs and living costs to lower competition. With the majority of college applicants in the upper 20 percent of the income range in the U.S., these families often prioritize higher-quality educational spaces rather than opting for the more affordable options.

“There is an increasing number of applications and falling admit rates,” Neumaier said. “The cost to educate each student has gone up. Families are prioritizing nicer dorms, food options in dining halls, campus facilities, and services, especially counseling and mental health staff and services.”

Rising tuition costs highlight the disparity between high-income and low-income students in accessing higher education. While financial aid and scholarships help, financial strain still affects many students’ college choices. Improving support systems reinforce accessibility to higher education, and Lisa Neumaier is here to help all Archie Williams students.