Wrestling team has best finish in school history

Wrestling team gathers after an amazing finish in Vallejo

Bryan McCaffrey, Reporter

This season the wrestling program had one of its most successful seasons ever.

They finished 2nd in MCALs with a 7-1 record, the best finish in program history.

This season has seen some very strong performances from individual wrestlers as well.

Two of our own wrestlers brought home MCAL titles in their weight classes, sophomore Dylan Wilson (113 lbs.) and freshman Aylo Korshen (120 lbs.), both therefore advancing to NCS.

Other wrestlers that finished top three individually in MCALs and advanced to NCS were freshmen Mason Ball (106 lbs.) and Toren Frank (132 lbs.), juniors Nicole Tolson (126 lbs.), Kiva Korshen (152 lbs.) and Tommie Tozzi (170 lbs.), and sophomores Mathieu Isanove (220 lbs.) and Thomas Faville (285 lbs.).

Although the eight wrestlers didn’t have the results they were hoping for at NCS, they all had great seasons, according to coach Johann Gerlach, with no seniors the wrestling program has a very bright future.

“In my nine years as coach, this has been the most successful Drake team I have coached, having finished 2nd in MCAL, the highest place in program history. We secured another program first by beating Tam.

“These young sophomores and freshman, mixed with our three juniors, rose to every challenge. They pulled off significant dual meet wins, regularly competed at most varsity tournaments, even while very young and look to take a strong position in MCAL and NCS for years to come!” Coach Johann Gerlach said.